question

oleksandrpereverziev avatar image
oleksandrpereverziev asked

Is this limitation relevant "PlayFab offers 10 character slots per player Account"?

This limitation was found in Tutorials / Building Blocks (https://api.playfab.com/docs/building-blocks).

Characters
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Joshua Strunk avatar image
Joshua Strunk answered

It is relevant if you use characters and need a large number of them. In most cases if you need more than 10 characters you are probably using them wrong.

All this said I could of sworn this limit was lowered at some point but am unsure to what (My mind is telling me it was lowered to 3). If it has been in fact lowered it could matter for those making rpg games with lots of character customization and specialization. (Action rpgs, rougelikes, etc..)

4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image brendan commented ·

Your mind is correct - we did talk about having a lower limit at one point. At this time though, any title running in the service can use the 10 character limit, as stated on that page.

1 Like 1 ·
rainerlonau avatar image rainerlonau brendan commented ·

Hi,

how would you handle characters in a soccer management game? I stumbled upon this thread an the limitation of 10 characters. As a soccer manager you would have up to 25 soccer-players at your club. So I can't set them up as characters.
Is it correct to use an Item for an ingame soccer-player then? From what I see I can have custom data on an item and it's also tradable.
Would I miss out any important features not using characters and going with items?

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
Andy avatar image Andy ♦♦ rainerlonau commented ·

There are several different ways to handle it, depending on what the game allows you to do with these soccer players. If they're intended to be purchased and traded, and it's okay if there are multiple copies of a single player in the system, catalog items may be reasonable. On the other hand, if you want to retain more logical control over the actions that can be performed on players, it may make more sense for a user's "team" to exist as user data.

In either case, but especially in the case of user data, do be aware of how often you're reading and making updates to players. If it would need to be often, you'll want to do more logic on your side and then only commit changes to PlayFab periodically. Additionally, if players on a particular user's team are meant to be viewed by lots of other people, you need to be careful, as both user inventory data and user data are not meant to scale across a large player base worth of queries/updates.

1 Like 1 ·
Show more comments
Ilse Mul avatar image
Ilse Mul answered

Hey all,

I know this is an old topic, but I'm just getting back into game development and further developing my game again.

I'm developing a MMORPG. In MMORPG's it's quite normal to have host of characters.

In my case, I have 8 playable races to start with and each race can have a different gender. With only male and female genders, this would mean 16 possible characters. Knowing MMORPG players, they'll want every option they can get, especially playing multiple versions of the same, crafting characters, extra alts, storage alts, dedicated roleplaying characters, etc. I know players from big titles like LotrO have up 15 or more characters on one account and all play them.

So, instead of

"In most cases if you need more than 10 characters you are probably using them wrong."

It's actually an essential part of MMORPG's and it's considered pretty normal by players to create more characters and buy extra character slots if they want.

And thus my question is.... is there a way to have more character slots than 10 on one account in the future?

Thanks for the help!

2 comments
10 |1200

Andy avatar image Andy ♦♦ commented ·

This is no longer a limit we enforce. I'd still recommend putting some sort of limit on player characters, otherwise it will lead to bloat in the player profile, but we should easily accommodate any reasonable game design.

0 Likes 0 ·
Ilse Mul avatar image Ilse Mul Andy ♦♦ commented ·

Ah, thanks for that info! I was going on the statement in this page. Good to know there's no limit anymore.

I am starting out with a few character slots and slowly add more. Especially in the startup live phase of the game. Maybe start with 4 characters and gradually open extra character slots. Also depending on the player's requests of course.

Thank you for your fast response!

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.