question

dominiklibek avatar image
dominiklibek asked

External server build data

Hi,

I want to test the functionality of external servers - for testing purposes I try to setup server on local host. My question is - how can I "upload" the executable files in order to RegisterGame() function can recognize them? Should they be packed in zip file like on custom servers? Do I need any additional software installed on local host?

Thanks!

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

For now, please do upload your build exactly as you would for a PlayFab hosted game server (as discussed here: https://api.playfab.com/docs/custom-game-servers). We'll be updating in future to remove the need to upload a specific build executable when using external game servers.

There's no special software you need to run on your external servers, though - just whatever you need for your game server.

4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

dominiklibek avatar image dominiklibek commented ·

Hi Brendan, thanks for a quick answer. But, as is written in https://api.playfab.com/docs/custom-game-servers - "Once ready, the complete Zip file can then be uploaded in the PlayFab Game Manager in the Servers->Builds tab", so it looks like the zip must reside on your side and what I want is to leave the zip file on the local host and then connect to it using RegisterGame() function (like external server do). It is possible? I think that I'm missing something important...

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan dominiklibek commented ·

Yes, I realize this is confusing, and we'll be fixing it as soon as we can. Long story short, the matchmaker requires that there be a valid build. So for the moment, please go ahead and upload a build to the servers section of the service - just don't activate it in any region. You'll be running your servers externally, exactly as you want to.

0 Likes 0 ·
dominiklibek avatar image dominiklibek brendan commented ·

So, to make it clear - at this moment it is impossible to have the server executable to be stored ONLY on external servers? One copy must exists on yours machine?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.