question

contact@bebopbee.com avatar image
contact@bebopbee.com asked

SharedGroups Limits

I'm confused about the SharedGroups limits, docs says: "10 per player, up to 100 keys each"

I'm using SharedGroups with no members from CloudScripts (that are called from the client), does this means that:

1) If I have 10 players, I'll ve able to create/access 100 SharedGroups, regardless of which client is executing the CloudScript call.

2) I'll be able to create/access only 10 SharedGroups with the client that is executing the CloudScript call.

What is the SharedGroups limit if they are created from CloudScript?

Thanks

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

The limits are to ensure that the service stays affordable, so that we can continue to offer the free core services. If you need more data space beyond what the free service limits provide, we can work with you on a custom contract that covers these overages.

Specific to Shared Group Data, the limit is that you create no more than 10 Shared Group Data objects for each player in your game, yes. Who creates them isn't important to that limit. The primary use case is for creating small data spaces that are shared by a few players, and the majority of the time you don't want to use AddSharedGroupMembers, as that gives those clients read/write access. Instead, you use known patterns for creating those groups (usually incorporating PlayFab IDs), so that you can read/write them in Cloud Script instead.

We can provide much better advice on usage if you can tell us the specific game feature/use case you're trying to create. For example, a single Shared Group Data cannot be used as a data space which is to be used by every single player in your game, as it is not a sharded data storage system, like Title Data.

Can you give us more details on what it is you're trying to accomplish?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Falcon Land avatar image
Falcon Land answered

Hi. i am reviving this thread because I still does not understand the shared group limit :) the 100 key/pair values are obvious. However the limit of 10 shared groups per player ... you said the limit is you create no more than 10 shared groups data object for each player. What the "shared group data object" actualy is? Does that mean that the player can be member of only 10 shared groups? If so it is easily bypassable by using cloudscript to modify data in shared group, isnt it? You does not have to be a member for than.

I am also trying to figure out how many shared groups can a Title have? Can I create a limitless number of shared groups?

What I am trying to figure out is a creation of a game mechanics where players can group up in small groups(like 5-20 players) , attack an enemy(so shared group will contain only amount of damage done be each player) and then after the enemy is dead( the combined amount of damage done by players are higher than enemy health) the players can claim their reward based on damage done. This is all doable new. The only tricky part is the creation of shared groups which should be created on the fly also destroyed/re-cycled once players defeated the enemy. The whole process of killing an enemy could take anything from minutes to days. Also the number of shared groups could be very high, maybe in hundreads. Is this possible to be made using the shared groups and cloudscript?

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Well first, I don't recommend adding a player to a Shared Group for most scenarios. Adding a player gives him write access to the SGD, meaning that a hacked client could write whatever it wants. Not all titles are concerned about security on the data, but most do tend to be.

The limit of 10 SGDs per player is actually not tied to players being member of SGDs - rather, it's that the design of the title should be such that each player doesn't generate more than 10 on average. Also, could you let me know where you got the 100 Key/Value pair limit from, though? The default limit for free tier titles is actually 5. To be very transparent, those two limits are not strictly enforced currently. However, they will be in future, so it's best to design for them (though to be clear, we don't make changes that break live titles - we'll work with folks over the limits to get them in compliance). The risk would be a title that exceeds those limits excessively - if that were to be the case, we would have to throttle or otherwise restrict the title, in order to make sure it could not impact others or cause undue costs on the service (again, we'd reach out to work with the developer, in that case).

But that said, your design sounds like it's quite workable in our current system. What I would recommend is starting a ticket with us (using the option on this page), so that we can work through the implementation details with you.

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.