question

Mark avatar image
Mark asked

Accurate PlayFabGameServer Instructions

I am a newbie trying to follow an example to connect to PlayFab and interact with the web site. This is the second example that has not worked due to inaccurate or misunderstood ReadMe files.

I am trying to follow the README.TXT in the PlayFabGameServer example (https://github.com/PlayFab/PlayFabGameServer). In the "A quick setup step before I forget to tell you" (https://github.com/PlayFab/PlayFabGameServer#a-quick-setup-step-before-i-forget-to-tell-you), it says "Locate the GameServerContext and expand it down. Then Click on PlayFabServerManager."

I cannot locate this. What am I missing?

p.s. "To do this, open up the StartUp scene in the StartUpScene folder." is also inaccurate, as there is NO folder titled "StartUpScene". There IS GameServerClientExample/Scenes folder. There is only one file, StartupScene. Maybe the wording could be made less ambiguous.

game manager
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

ryancoastek avatar image
ryancoastek answered

If you have imported the package into unity and accessed the StartUpScene, you will see that in the hierarchy panel contains an empty gameobject named "GameServerContext". If you expand that gameobject you will see it has three children, one being the "PlayFabServerManager". That is where the readme is alluding to.

I may be mistaken, but I do not think you actually need to manually add the titleid. The command attached to the ServerManager actually grabs it from command line parameters and sets it automatically.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Mark avatar image Mark commented ·

On my imported package, the hierarchy contains 4 items: Main Camera, ClientExampleGameObject, Canvas and EventSystem. Canvas is the only item that has children.

I have downloaded the package and opened the "PlayFabGameServerClientExample" in Unity 4.1f1.

I am looking for the PlayFabServerManager.

What am missing?

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image Mark commented ·

OK. This "example" package README is messed up!

The GitHub package contains two folders; GameServerSource and PlayFabGameServerClientExample. **

The README fails to indicate to open the GameServerSource. It says: "open up the StartUp scene in the StartUpScene folder." But, there is no such file or directory in either of the main directories (**).

I believe the README is should say something like this to:

1) Open the "GameServerSource" directory in Unity.

2) In the Assets area, expand "GameServerContext", under the "Scenes" folder open the "ServerScene".

3) In the Hierarchy area, expand the "GameServerContext" and select "PlayFabServerManager".

4) In the Inspector area, there is a "ServerSettingsData" component. "Put your TitleId in the Title Id meta field."

Now, let us see how accurate the rest of the README is...

0 Likes 0 ·
amazdeh avatar image
amazdeh answered

@Brendan I know you'll see this but just as feedback. Many don't need or don't want to use your IOC container. I myself read the source of that and just created my own network manager for client and server so I would suggest add a sample without all of the unnecessary IOC container which is indeed a bit strange and honestly speaking not that useful for most parts of a game (granted if anywhere, it is useful in backend service and UI related parts).

1 comment
10 |1200

brendan avatar image brendan commented ·

There's no requirement to use any of our code - sample or SDK - so that's not a problem. You should feel free to use whatever works best for you. I've asked our tools team to review this thread and reply with an update.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.