question

kabumere avatar image
kabumere asked

Preventing profane Display Names

How do I not allow profanity in Display Names? I see an error code for the UpdateUserTitleDisplayName API call that seems to be set when a user's name is profane, and I handled the case client side for receiving that error code, and others (tell users what was wrong with their name and allow them to choose another) but I was just able to set a profane Display Name for myself, no error was thrown.

UpdateUserTitleDisplayName doesn't seem to have a variable to set to not allow profanity and I don't see the option on the backend in Game Manager either. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great!

apisAccount Management
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

kabumere avatar image
kabumere answered

Ah, think I found it. In case anyone else runs into this, it doesn't seem to be a default PlayFab feature, but rather one provided by one of their partners - Community Sift - available as an add on. The pricing starts at $50 a month though, so I guess I'll skip out. Might have to just roll my own client side profanity check =/

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image brendan commented ·

Correct - to avoid profanity in display names, you would need to either check them yourself, or else make use of our Community Sift integration. It basically comes down to how important this feature is to your title. For some, like games where children are the main users, it's critical, while with others (like shooters), it's not quite as vital.

0 Likes 0 ·
dragonfoundry avatar image
dragonfoundry answered

I highly recommend using BadWordFilterPro if you're making a Unity game. It needs a little configuration help (there's a "branded names" text file you'll likely want to wipe), but it's got really strong customization, and you can use it for more than just usernames.

1 comment
10 |1200

kabumere avatar image kabumere commented ·

I ended up making my own. I tried the demo for BadWordFilter and there were too many false positives. It seemed they just searched a string for a certain 'bad word' and thats it. I rolled a solution that goes a little more in depth and still captures (what I deem) bad words, as well as special characters, website names and emails.

Only issue is I will also have to configure it for each different language I support, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. As of now, the English filter works exactly how I want.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.