question

yogev avatar image
yogev asked

question about drop tables

Hello, I am building a reward system based on the drop table when the game ends I am going to request a random item from the drop table how can I block cheaters from abusing it? so like they won't "hack" the game and invoke the function

and another thing is, how can I give coins as a reward?

In-Game Economy
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
drallcom3 avatar image
drallcom3 answered

how can I block cheaters from abusing it?

You can't. If the client has authority over the current gameplay, a hacker can send whatever gameplay result he wants. Like "Monsters killed in the last dungeon: 999999".

Your only solutions are:

1. Use a gameserver. That's gonna be expensive and a lot more difficult to develop.

2. Change the design so that you can mitigate abuse. Like an energy mechanic for loot, so you know the player can only get loot 5 times per hour for example. He can still cheat the gameplay, but he will be progress limited by the backend-controlled energy mechanic.

14 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

yogev avatar image yogev commented ·

Thank you, and do I have a limit on how many times I can call the drop table API? because I am going to call it per player on the end of the game it will be around 30 players

0 Likes 0 ·
drallcom3 avatar image drallcom3 yogev commented ·

They don't have a limit and can't have a limit. If you have a gameserver, you should let the gameserver manage the droptable.

0 Likes 0 ·
yogev avatar image yogev drallcom3 commented ·

I don't have a game server. thank you and the last thing is I saw the docs it seems that I will need to use azure function is there a way for me to let drop table give the item in one call? or do I have to call grantitem after that

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.