question

dylan-1 avatar image
dylan-1 asked

Can I use OSS to create lobby, and marketplace for other lobby funcs?

As a follow up to this Q+A that had a generally useful answer, but not necessarily answering my main question:

Since the marketplace plugin creates a *stateless* lobby (undoc'd, but mentioned by staff - can't use the funcs like UpdateLobby, GetFriendLobbies, etc) and told I need OSS for this. I already have marketplace sdk coded (so want to use it).

Can I do the following?:

1. OSS create lobby

2. Marketplace plugin lobby everything else

For example, since I can't use Find Friend Lobbies in a stateless lobby created by marketplace plugin CreateLobby. I also can't use similar functions, like UpdateLobby.

How would I actually use the marketplace plugin funcs like Find Friend Lobbies? OSS create -> then I can hop back to marketplace for find friend lobbies?

Bonus questions for understanding/logic:

Why would creating a lobby from the marketplace SDK create a stateless lobby (and what is the point)? Since this breaks functionality of other calls of the same api/namespace (like get friend lobbies), why isn't this documented? Why would get friend lobbies even be included next to create lobby if it can't even be used?

apissdksunrealMatchmaking
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Simon Cui avatar image
Simon Cui answered

PlayFab OSS is designed to be used behind the IOnlineSession interface provided by Epic. When using the OSS, you will need to refer to Epic's documentation for using OnlineSubsystem interfaces. See Online Subsystem Session Interface in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.0 Documentation and IOnlineSession | Unreal Engine Documentation. It's not recommended to mix using OSS with Marketplace plugin. With OSS, you should be able to find lobbies with using IOnlineSession::FindSessions().

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

dylan-1 avatar image dylan-1 commented ·

With OSS, Epic's documentation is not enough since you have completely different terminology/vocabulary. For example, ResourceId == MatchId, with no possible way of knowing this.

As for not being able to mix and match, if this is incompatible, then does that mean the marketplace SDK's Multiplayer::Lobby::CreateLobby is bugged? Otherwise, why would there be FindLobbies and FindFriendLobies [etc] if CreateLobby creates a stateless lobby? Is this another module that's obsolete without letting us know?

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.