question

lex@splashmusic.com avatar image
lex@splashmusic.com asked

How to debug a deployed Linux server container

Hi all,

Hoping someone on the forum can help us get our Unreal server working on Playfab Multiplayer. Been trying for a few days and can't seem to get over this final hurdle. I'm a newcomer to Unreal and Playfab, but quite familiar with Docker and Linux servers.

Here's what I have done:

• Created a build of our server with the PlayFab GDSK and pushed up container to the Azure Container Registry.

• Confirmed that the container runs in LocalMultiplayerAgentPublish.

• Ensured that gameport is configured

• Setup a ServerBuild and requested a server.

I can see the Server is in Active state. So I assume that means that PlayFab thinks it is online?

5597-image.png

However, I cannot connect to the server using the FQDN and game port.

I have tried using tools like netcat and telnet, but the port doesn't seem to be open.

I can ssh into the host Virtual Machine and see that the process is running as expected. But even on the Virtual Machine, the server is not listening on the gameport

How do I go about debugging this now? Is there any way to access the logs of a running server? Anything else I should be checking in LocalMultiplayerAgentPublish? Or any other tips people can give me?

Thanks!

multiplayer
image.png (18.2 KiB)
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Gosen Gao avatar image
Gosen Gao answered

For debugging tips, you can refer to Debugging your Game Servers.

Can you connect to your server when running it with LocalMultiplayerAgent?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

lex@splashmusic.com avatar image
lex@splashmusic.com answered

Oh wow! I totally missed that document. Very helpful.

Reading the logs it appears the server is up. That's great to know!

So it looks like the Docker networking is trying to use TCP port 30000

docker ps
CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                                            COMMAND                  CREATED             STATUS              PORTS                                NAMES
c3cf64dc60eb        ourrcustomerid.azurecr.io/splash-server   "/bin/sh -c 'su ue -…"   5 hours ago         Up 5 hours          7777/udp, 0.0.0.0:30000->30000/tcp   awesome_shannon

But the server is listening on udp port 30000

netstat -tulpn
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:1985            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      15/LyraServer
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.11:43279        0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      -
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:30000           0.0.0.0:*                           15/LyraServer
udp        0      0 127.0.0.11:43515        0.0.0.0:*                           -

So maybe that's the issue?

I will check connectivity with LocalMultiplayerAgent now. My understanding was we were able to connect but it's worth double checking.

1 comment
10 |1200

Gosen Gao avatar image Gosen Gao commented ·

Internet protocols need to be the same. If your game server is listening on UDP port, you must configure the same when creating the build.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.