question

Chad Reddick avatar image
Chad Reddick asked

Matchmake a party to the same team

Hello!

I was curious on how to ensure my party(lobby) I matchmake with are all on the same team (a TeamA and TeamB scenario). I know there's some specifics on the Matchmaking Queue side, but it's very unclear on how to set this up when it comes to ensuring a party(lobby) matchmakes to the same team when a match is found.

Not only that, there's also the scenario where say I have a party of 2, and those players matchmake to a match that already has a 3v3 an the max players for a team is 4v4. Is there anything to integrate to prevent that queue being matched if there's not enough players available on a slot for that team?

Ultimately though, I want to know how to ensure the party I am matchmaking with matches to the same team together.

Matchmaking
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Simon Cui avatar image
Simon Cui answered

I know there's some specifics on the Matchmaking Queue side, but it's very unclear on how to set this up when it comes to ensuring a party(lobby) matchmakes to the same team when a match is found.

If you want to ensure that 2 groups of players to go into a matchmaking queue together, you may follow this tutorial: Matchmaking quickstart - PlayFab | Microsoft Learn. A creator of the group creates a new matchmaking ticket and invite group members to join the match ticket through shared TicketId. Each member then calls JoinMatchmakingTicket, providing their own required attributes. Once all members have joined the ticket, the ticket status becomes WaitingForMatch.

there's also the scenario where say I have a party of 2, and those players matchmake to a match that already has a 3v3 an the max players for a team is 4v4. Is there anything to integrate to prevent that queue being matched if there's not enough players available on a slot for that team?

You can ensure it by managing team size balance, referring to this document: Configuring matchmaking queues - PlayFab | Microsoft Learn. You may navigate to [Game Manager]->[Your Title] -> [Multiplayer]->[Matchmaking]->[ ADD/EDIT RULES (OPTIONAL)], like the screenshot shown below:
5591-teamsizedif.png

teamsizedif.png (13.5 KiB)
1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Chad Reddick avatar image Chad Reddick commented ·

A creator of the group creates a new matchmaking ticket and invite group members to join the match ticket through shared TicketId. Each member then calls JoinMatchmakingTicket, providing their own required attributes. Once all members have joined the ticket, the ticket status becomes WaitingForMatch.

I think you have misunderstood here. To be clear, I am doing these steps above to ensure the members are joining the matchmaking ticket. The problem is even when a match is found, the party is separated into different teams still. I don't understand why that is though.

You can ensure it by managing team size balance, referring to this document: Configuring matchmaking queues - PlayFab | Microsoft Learn. You may navigate to [Game Manager]->[Your Title] -> [Multiplayer]->[Matchmaking]->[ ADD/EDIT RULES (OPTIONAL)], like the screenshot shown below:

Thank you for this segment actually. Once parties can match to the same team, this will solve the party of 2 matching to a 3v3 match and parties being split.

0 Likes 0 ·
Simon Cui avatar image
Simon Cui answered

Sorry for misunderstanding. May I know if you want to ensure that a group of 2 players that will always be assigned to same team, instead of separated? If so, the PlayFab does provide such built-in service without manual setup. The match service will ensure that players matching together in the same ticket are not assigned to different teams, referring to this document: Configuring matchmaking queues - PlayFab | Microsoft Learn. You can also follow this example: Matchmaking scenario and configuration examples - PlayFab | Microsoft Learn. PlayFab Matchmaking supports team-oriented matches. By specifying teams, players which are submitted together in the same ticket will all be allocated into one team, and not be forced to play against each other.

2 comments
10 |1200

Chad Reddick avatar image Chad Reddick commented ·

Can you explain more on how Team size balancing works in a Queue. Is Allowed team size difference the amount of players per team missing that it allows? Say I set Allowed team size difference to 1 in the context of a 4v4 game. would that mean only a 3v4 is allowed for balancing?

0 Likes 0 ·
Simon Cui avatar image Simon Cui Chad Reddick commented ·

The “Team Size Balance” is designed to ensure the difference in player count between the largest and smallest team does not exceed a threshold.

If you set team size balance to 1 in the context of a 4v4 game, it could allow 3v4 queue, but it also depends on how you define the MinMatchSize, MaxMatchSize, MinTeamSize and MaxTeamSize.

To be more clear, if you set team size difference to 1, MinMatchSize = 7, MaxMatchSize=8, MinTeamSize = 3 and MaxTeamSize = 4, then 3v4 is allowed. In another case that team size balance equals to 1, MinMatchSize = 8, MaxMatchSize=8, MinTeamSize = 4 and MaxTeamSize = 4, then only 4v4 is allowed. For more information, please refer to: Configuring matchmaking queues - PlayFab | Microsoft Learn.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.