question

Khalimonchuk Vasyl avatar image
Khalimonchuk Vasyl asked

Matching minimum number of players

I've created matchmaking queue in accordance to the official example.

Practical testing shows the problem with that approach: The players get matched together by expansion only if they started matchmaking at the same time. If the difference between tickets creation time is more than a few seconds they end up in different matches irrespective of SecondsUntilOptional or Expansion settings.

I've seen other threads with similar questions:

unable-to-match-players-above-min-match-size.html

wait-for-more-players-before-matching.html

And this answer says that players indeed should create tickets at the same time to be considered for matching together.

As I see with this logic Players Number Expansion Rule fulfils its intended purpose only for matchmaking request bursts, but not for a steady influx. And a real production load is definitely not only the bursts. Apart for problems from the game design perspective this leads to premature exhaustion of the server pool, while each of allocated servers remains underutilized.

Am I doing something wrong here or that is really an intended behavior?

Matchmaking
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Gosen Gao avatar image
Gosen Gao answered

The example Expansion of number of players over time works fine in my tests. If you set a small SecondsBetweenExpansions and your game only has a few players, then it could happen that the matches are always matched with minimum of players. For example,

Scenario 1: MinOverrides: 10;8;6;4;2, SecondsBetweenExpansions: 1, and creating tickets every 2 seconds.

It will always be matched with 2 players. But if you set a larger SecondsBetweenExpansions.

Scenario 2: MinOverrides: 10;8;6;4;2, SecondsBetweenExpansions: 5, and creating tickets every 2 second.

It will be matched with 6 players. Or you have more players.

Scenario 3: MinOverrides: 10;8;6;4;2, SecondsBetweenExpansions: 1, and creating tickets every 0.2 second.

It will be matched with 8 players. So please set the appropriate configuration according to your game.
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.