question

fred.sund@gmail.com avatar image
fred.sund@gmail.com asked

NAT Punchthrough?

I am just new to this and my question is, do Playfab have functions for performing NAT Punchthrough for my peer-to-peer two player Unreal game?

Or does it have an alternative method of doing this?  Connecting players directly to each other over the internet?

Cheers

Fred

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

For realtime peer-to-peer games, you have a couple of options. The first is to use a product like Photon Cloud or Bolt, from Exit Games (check our Add-ons Marketplace) to host Rooms that allow you to connect players and exchange data. The other (particularly if you require secure server-side control of the game sessions) is to host your custom game servers in PlayFab directly (https://api.playfab.com/docs/custom-game-servers/).

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

fred.sund@gmail.com avatar image
fred.sund@gmail.com answered

Hi and thanks for your reply.

I cannot see that Bolt is available for Unreal though? Is it not just for Unity or am I missing something?

Photon Cloud,  is that a separate product or a part of one of their other products?  I cannot see it mentioned on their web page.

Cheers, Fred

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

No, you're correct - sorry for the confusion. Bolt is Unity-only. The Photon Turnbased and Realtime options are the way to go for Unreal games that don't need custom game servers (but do need NAT punchthrough): http://doc.photonengine.com/en/turnbased/current/sdks-and-api/sdk-unreal-engine

10 |1200

Sami Tabikh avatar image
Sami Tabikh answered

Has this situation changed? Does Microsoft have any plans for adding NAT tunneling for external servers?

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.