question

Shawn Pryde avatar image
Shawn Pryde asked

Multiplayer between Demo Application and Full Game Application

Hello,

Our team has been trying to create a demo version of our already released full game which uses PlayFab & Photon Quantum to facilitate online multiplayer rooms. I've been following the suggestions at the following thread in order to copy our existing settings over to a new PlayFab title, but I have a concern. It appears that requiring multiple PlayFab titles also requires multiple Photon applications, and if that's the case, I have a suspicion that it would not be possible for users who play our demo to play in online rooms with users who play our full game. This is a feature which we find highly desirable for our demo, so we really must know: is it possible to have a demo application that can play in online rooms with our full game application using PlayFab/Photon?

Best, Shawn Pryde

photonmultiplayerwindows
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Xiao Zha avatar image
Xiao Zha answered

According to your description, I think the key point is how to match demo players with full game players. If you are not using PlayFab Multiplayer Server and Matchmaking service, since we are not experts in Photon Quantum and not familiar with Quantum matchmaking logic, you may seek professional assistance from Quantum support team. If you are using PlayFab Mutiplayer Server to host your game or using PlayFab Matchmaking service, since server builds in different Title are deployed on different servers and players in different Title cannot matchmaking together, you cannot have the demo players in another Title play in online rooms with the full game players. Please feel free to let me know if I misunderstand.

4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Shawn Pryde avatar image Shawn Pryde commented ·

Hi Xiao,

Your understanding is correct. We would be using Photon Quantum to match our users together into rooms (not PlayFab Matchmaking). I actually just wrapped up a discussion with the Photon Developers on this topic: in their framework, the different Steam Apps would be able to play in online rooms together. However, since each PlayFab title can only be associated with one Steam App ID, we are unable to use PlayFab to authenticate users on our Demo product and associate those demo users with the same Photon App ID. The implementation of this is admittedly confusing to me. I of course don't fully understand the backend code for user authentication in PlayFab; but it seems odd that a PlayFab title can only be associated with one Steam App ID and simultaneously be associated with multiple applications on another platform (PlayStation Network or Nintendo Switch Online for example). It just makes me wonder if there's a way to make this work, since it can work on our non-Steam platforms.

Best, Shawn

0 Likes 0 ·
Xiao Zha avatar image Xiao Zha Shawn Pryde commented ·

According to your description, I think you want to set different Steam APP Ids in one Title or set same Photon App Id in PlayFab Add-On page in different Titles, but PlayFab doesn’t provide such feature. If I understand wrong, please feel free to let me know.

0 Likes 0 ·
Shawn Pryde avatar image Shawn Pryde Xiao Zha commented ·

Your understanding is correct, either of those options would make our use case work. It seems that this simply won't work at all for us, though I would appreciate any information for why such a limitation exists. Particularly, why each PlayFab title can only be associated with one Steam App ID.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.