question

miloszmoczkowski avatar image
miloszmoczkowski asked

Content checksum

I'm hosting Android extension file (obb) on Playfab's content server. Since I don't want to download it everytime, is there any way for a client to get a file's checksum?

Thanks!

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

First, you should never update to a new version of a file in Content without changing the filename - have a version number as part of the name itself. The reason for this is that the cache time on a CDN like CloudFront (which we use for Content) is very long. So if you just use the same filename, it can take quite a while before all the various distribution nodes have the updated file. A new filename will guarantee that the new file is cached at all endpoints as it is requested.

Now, for querying the file from the device, the best thing to do is store a "manifest" containing the information on the latest revision of your content files in Title Data. That way, you can grab it on start of the game, and check to see if you need to update anything.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

miloszmoczkowski avatar image miloszmoczkowski commented ·

>First, you should never update to a new version of a file in Content without changing the filename

Sure thing.

>"manifest" containing the information on the latest revision of your content files in Title Data

Yep, that was my idea, thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.