question

lewisfallows12 avatar image
lewisfallows12 asked

Do I *HAVE* to use Matchmake for PlayFab?

My main question is would I have to use Matchmake?

I'm wanting to make a game where a player basically just connects to a server when it is available for players to connect to without having to matchmake to load into the game. And if I'm not mistaken, the only way the server can work like that is if by a minimum it's two players willing to connect, which isn't really good if one singular person wants to play multiplayer and then simply can't do that because there's just not an extra person doing the same thing.

I think in other terms what I'm looking for is an asynchronous multiplayer experience, where a user shouldn't have to rely on another person being in the server with them to progress, etc.

And from what I've seen, PlayFab creates servers by request, rather than a server that is just running for players to connect to. Is this just something that PlayFab doesn't allow? Would I have to just use another product for dedicated servers? A little upsetting because I really do enjoy other qualities of PlayFab.

Custom Game ServersMatchmaking
1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

lewisfallows12 avatar image lewisfallows12 commented ·

Adding onto this. I've now decided on just using Playfab for player data and then AWS for dedicated. Is that sufficient? It sucks to use two different services for two different things, so I might just end up switching to AWS fully and using them as a database, etc.

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
Simon Cui avatar image
Simon Cui answered

For single player starting a game server, please refer to Matchmaking for single player - Playfab Community. Please inform us if you still have questions.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.