question

danishgoel avatar image
danishgoel asked

Leaderboard Rank discrepancy when rank improves from below 1000

Hi,

A query and bug report regarding Leaderboards.

I know that leaderboards are approximate after 1000 rank, and I am totally fine with it.
But I am experiencing strange behavior at the edge of rank 1000.

As soon as score increases to place the player in top 1000, player's rank inexplicably lowers.
In my case, it goes from 817 to 998 as the score increases, this is very confusing for the player!

Shouldn't the approximate rank calculation algorithm ensure that guessed ranks for players (who are outside top 1000) always be greater than 1000?

I hope this will be an easy issue to fix.

regards,
Danish Goel

-------- Game Info and data ------------
 // Game ID : 9864
 // Stat Name : Arena Points

// Position when score is 2014 => 817
 {
     "PlayFabId": "xxxxxxxxxxxxC9C1",
     "StatValue": 2214,
     "Position": 817,
     "Profile": {
         "PublisherId": "xxxxxxxxxxx10DD",
         "TitleId": "9864",
         "PlayerId": "xxxxxxxxxxxxC9C1"
     }
 }

// Position when score increases to 2015 => 998
 {
     "PlayFabId": "xxxxxxxxxxxxC9C1",
     "StatValue": 2215,
     "Position": 998,
     "Profile": {
         "PublisherId": "xxxxxxxxxxx10DD",
         "TitleId": "9864",
         "PlayerId": "xxxxxxxxxxxxC9C1"
     }
 }
Leaderboards and Statistics
6 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Simon Cui avatar image Simon Cui commented ·

Hi Danish, I am reviewing your issue.

1. One thing needs to re-confirm is that is the score increased from 2014 to 2015 or 2214 to 2215? Because your description showed different values of score between your comment line and codes.

2. May I know what API you used to update leaderboard data?

3. Additionally, it would be kind if you provide non-encrypted PlayFabId for the specific player.

Thanks for your patience.

0 Likes 0 ·
danishgoel avatar image danishgoel Simon Cui commented ·

Hi Simon,

Sorry for the confusion due to typo. In this case score is increasing from 2214 to 2215.
PlayFab ID for the user in question is 2B5A6B62F787C9C1.
(This issue happens with any user when they go from 1000+ rank to within 1000)

I am using GetLeaderboardAroundUser in cloud script (or GetLeaderboardAroundPlayer in client api) to get player rank which is returning the above result.

Thank you for looking into this.

An idea: If changing approximate rank calculation logic for fixing this is not feasible, maybe a boolean can be added to return json which indicates if the rank is exact or approximate. Based on this I can show any approximate rank <1000 as 1001.

P.S. I did not get any email notification for your reply even when even though I am following this question.

0 Likes 0 ·
danishgoel avatar image danishgoel danishgoel commented ·

Also, I am using UpdatePlayerStatistics via cloudscript or client api to update leaderboard data. Both lead to same result.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

0 Answers

·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.