question

Geoff Pate avatar image
Geoff Pate asked

Leaderboard Prize Tables - implementation details for Executing Azure Functions

I'm looking at using Prize Tables to execute an Azure Function for users when a leaderboard is reset (the in game competition has ended). I'm using an Azure Function as the other options are insufficient for our requirements (updating title data etc)

I'd like to know how the functions are executed? Is there any retry mechanism if the call fails for any reason? Are the calls made in a single synchronous loop, or queued in some way for distributed execution? I've noticed the functions can be terminated after 1000ms, although how PlayFab measures this execution time seems to differ from how the Azure function execution time is shown in the Azure portal. Azure seems to measure total time even though the function will be massively IO bound and is purely async. Is PlayFab measuring total time from the PlayFab servers? Can this timeout be increased? (For an async Azure Function call the CPU time waiting for the request to complete must be minimal?)

Leaderboards and Statistics
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Rick Chen avatar image
Rick Chen answered

There is a limit in PlayFab for Processing time for a Cloud Script function called by an action trigger, which is 1 second. This limit cannot be increased. But even when this limit is hit, the Azure Function will still run at the backend until complete.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Geoff Pate avatar image Geoff Pate commented ·

Thanks for the info.

And just to clarify - theres no mechanism to tell if it succeeded or not if execution is terminated? And no retries?

If not I'll need to do things differently is all

0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ Geoff Pate commented ·

Yeah, you are right.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.