question

Dimeland avatar image
Dimeland asked

Segment player count update and new users

So I had this issue bugging me for some time. I find lots of posts claiming the segment player count is not updating or does not show the correct number of players. After some digging I found that in my case newly created player accounts simply do not enter into segment count until some time has passed. While I understand that updating segments very frequently is a huge overload and not feasible, I do not understant why there isn't a manual update api call or something that lets us update the segment player count correctly.

I have a scheduled task to run on a segment that decreases a statistic every day at the end of the day - some sort of form statistic. I expect the task to run on all the selected players, but the way segments are updating it is possible for a player to create an account near the end of the day, posting a score and not having his stat decreased, possibly passing ahead of many players in the leaderboard.

This issue is reproducible by these steps:

-Create a segment with the condition of having a stat bigger than x

-Note the segment player count is y

-Create a new acocunt and manual give it the statistic value required to enter the segment

-Check in the player dash that the new player indeed belongs to the segment

-Note the segment player count is still y and not (y + 1)

-The segment player will eventually become (y + 1) after some time

P.S. My title id is 75F38

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Xiao Zha avatar image
Xiao Zha answered

There is some delay in segment auto-update. But accounts created after completing scheduled missions can also appear on the leaderboards where they may still be ahead of many players, and this situation is similar as the situation you mentioned above:" but the way segments are updating it is possible for a player to create an account near the end of the day, posting a score and not having his stat decreased, possibly passing ahead of many players in the leaderboard". So, what is the influence here? In addition, LeaderBoard has the Reset function, you can refer to Using resettable statistics and leaderboards - PlayFab | Microsoft Learn to have more information.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Dimeland avatar image Dimeland commented ·

Thanks for the response.

The comparison does not make sense since in my case when a player submits a new score it evaluates the score for the correct day (no need to decrease anything). But in the case I state, a player posting a score at 23:59 will submit it, will correctly enter the leaderboard for that day but will not be updated for the next day since the segment will not update until the scheduled task at 00:00.

The reset statistic will not cut it either because I don't want to reset the leaderboard, just want to make sure every player is updated - unless I'm missing your point...

What would be useful is, like I said in the post, a manual reset api call that could be called in a script right before running the scheduled task.

Without it I have to workaround the problem by giving a delay to the scheduled task (run at 1am e.g.) and in the end of the tournament/event only post the scores passed some time.

What would be the downside for Playfab to give such a API call?

0 Likes 0 ·
Xiao Zha avatar image Xiao Zha Dimeland commented ·

Sorry for the late reply. And since PlayFab doesn’t provide such feature for you to manually update the segment player count, you may post a feature request for it.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.