question

Terrell Stephen avatar image
Terrell Stephen asked

Shared Group Data Polling

I've been looking at this sample project here:

https://github.com/southworks/playfab-samples/tree/master/multiplayer-tic-tac-toe

It makes a note that: "Polling state of the game from the SGD is not recommended for production, as it could end up being too expensive."

I noticed that the sample project polls every 1 second. So what is the proper method I should be using to handle this?

Shared Group Datamultiplayer
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Rick Chen avatar image
Rick Chen answered

If you would create a multiplayer game for production (which has a lot of users), I would suggest you using the MPS feature instead of Share Group Data.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Terrell Stephen avatar image Terrell Stephen commented ·

I've read that MPS does not allow for persistent multiplayer. Meaning, I'd like players to be able to log out, come back a day or two later, and continue the game. Is this true?

0 Likes 0 ·
Rick Chen avatar image Rick Chen ♦ Terrell Stephen commented ·

It is true that it will be a waste of resource if you leave the MPS hanging when no players are in the game. In this case, I suggest you using Party Feature with the SGD, after the players join the party, they can send message to each other to indicate that they have updated the SGD, so that the other player can get the SGD after they receive message, and they don't need to poll getting SGD.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.