question

drew avatar image
drew asked

EconomyV2, what is "keywords" and "Descriptions" for?

I've reviewd all the docs I could find for Economy V2, but can't find any description for what these 2 properties of an item represent or how they should be used.

What is the point of Keywords and Descriptions?

Thanks

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

drew avatar image drew commented ·

For example, tags are useful for shared data across all items, and Display properties is useful for unique values per item that are displayed for the user. What is Keywords and Description used for?

0 Likes 0 ·
Derek Reese avatar image
Derek Reese answered
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Gosen Gao avatar image
Gosen Gao answered

This two properties are used for localized info, you can refer to CatalogItem.

6 comments
10 |1200

@Gosen Gao @kylemc@microsoft.com thanks for replying, but these docs still don't really give any context on what these 2 properties are actually used for. Is this basically just completely up to the end user, or is there some functional difference between "Display", "Description" and "DisplayProperties"? It appears that DisplayProperties is not localized, if so, that name is pretty misleading since DisplayProperties indicates a visual description the end user would see, why would I use that instead of Description which can be localized?

One or two basic examples of creating an item would go a long way to reducing some pain points around understanding economy V2

0 Likes 0 ·
Gosen Gao avatar image Gosen Gao drew commented ·

It is up to the developers. There are some differences between “Keywords”, “DisplayProperties” and “Description” as we mention in the docs. Please choose the one you want to use according to your needs. If you think both "DisplayProperties" and "Description" will do what you want, and you think the “Description” is better, then you can use “Description”. Although "DisplayProperties" is for display purposes, but it doesn’t mean all info should display for players, you can also use it to control display settings internally, such as display position, background, border type, etc.

0 Likes 0 ·
drew avatar image drew Gosen Gao commented ·

@Gosen Gao, the problem is that the docs do not describe at all what "Keywords" and "Descriptions" actually do or what their intended purpose is. Just look at the docs for yourself and you will see what I mean. They describe Content Types, Tags, and DisplayProperties well, but left those other 2 things completely out: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/economy-v2/catalog/content-types-tags-and-properties

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
kylemc@microsoft.com avatar image
kylemc@microsoft.com answered

This is good context as well.

Search - PlayFab | Microsoft Learn

"At its most basic, the Search parameter is a plain-text fuzzy search against the Title, Description, Keywords, and Searchable String Display Properties fields."

1 comment
10 |1200

@kylemc@microsoft.com @Gosen Gao I still cannot find a single example or description on how exactly to enter data into Keywords

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.