question

George Gilbert avatar image
George Gilbert asked

Database function in PlayFab (or separate host?)

Does PlayFab have any database-like function built in, or do we need to use a separate database solution? If separate, I'd really appreciate any guidance anyone has here on what sorts of solutions might work well for my scenario.

In more detail, I'm building a multiplayer game with custom Azure-based game servers and PlayFab login function. Up until now I've managed to hold all persistent state between sessions using the PlayFab per player title data (e.g. total number of wins for each player), but now want to extend this to cover more historical information about users activities.

For example, for each user, I would like to store a simple summary of their history of each match they've played in the game - the date/name of the match, who they played against, whether they won or not, what their score was etc.

I only need to store a few hundred bytes of data per person per match, at an average of 1 write per second - about a GB / month if uncompressed. The data will be write once (on completion of the match), and then read very occasionally only when the user chooses to look at their history.

Most of the database solutions I've looked at seem vastly over-engineered for the limited use case I've got. It would be great to know if there's an Azure hosted solution that's cost effective in my scenario (e.g. something I can run co-hosted on my Azure webserver instance), or whether there are other solutions out there that might be a better fit.

Thank you in advance for any help!

apisdataCustom Game Servers
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Xiao Zha avatar image
Xiao Zha answered

Playfab does have a database underlaid, but you can't access it directly. You can manipulate the database with the feature and APIs provided by PlayFab like Player Data, Player Profiles and Statistics. In your case, if you want to store historical information about player activity, you can store the data in player entity files, with a total limit of 50,000 GB for all title-level entity file sizes. If the size does not meet your requirements, you may need to use an external database to store historical data. For Azure hosted solutions, you may need to seek professional assistance from the Azure support team.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.