question

Tim Koppers avatar image
Tim Koppers asked

Setup Android Push Notifications 2022

Hi,

Due constant changes from Google the current documentation how to setup push notifications for Android on Playfab is really outdated. I've tried 1000 things, but all I get it errors.

Can someone from Playfab give an updated guide what to exactly fill in here :

Thanks a lot

Push Notificationsandroid
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Rick Chen avatar image
Rick Chen answered

According to your 1st screenshot, it appears that your Cloud Messaging API (Legacy) is disabled. You can click the 3 dots at the right of it, choose “Manage API in Google Cloud Console” and Enable the Cloud Message. Then go back to the [Project Settings]->[Cloud Messaging] Tab, you will see your Cloud Messaging API (Legacy) is enabled and there is the server key under it.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Tim Koppers avatar image Tim Koppers commented ·

Thanks, that is the solution! It would be great if the document can be updated that the legacy Cloud Messaging API is needed, since that is disabled by default now.. because of... legacy.

When are you going to update to the new Firebase Cloud Messaging API? Is there are timeline / roadmap for push notifications?

0 Likes 0 ·
Rick Chen avatar image
Rick Chen answered

According to my test, it is possible to get the server API key from the Firebase console. Please refer to this document: Push Notification for Android - PlayFab | Microsoft Learn.

2 comments
10 |1200

I think that document is outdated, because that is what I see when going to Firebase Console :

In the cloud messaging tab no :

Legacy server key<br>

And in the General tab no :

Web API key

0 Likes 0 ·

I've tried a lot of keys (just to try if one of them will work), but all I get is :

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.