question

Matt avatar image
Matt asked

Auto-generated display name?

Hey folks,

I'm implementing leaderboards and would like players to have a meaningful name for their entries, instead of their PlayFabId. I intend to ask them to enter an alias, but I'd like to have one automatically set so I don't have to jam a dialog box in their face when they first launch the game. I want a seamless flow for the introductory sequence, and only require them to enter an alias if they want to personalize it. My goal, otherwise, would be to have something like "Player#A4B1" or something.

Is there a way to do this right now, or do I need to just show the same name for anyone that didn't enter an alias "ie everyone starts off as Guest".

Thanks,

-Matt

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Rick Chen avatar image
Rick Chen answered

You can set a rule for that. When a player register to your title, the player_added_title event will be triggered. Then you can create an Azure Function which calls the Admin API UpdateUserTitleDisplayName to update the player's display name. You can also set your title to "Append randomly generated digits to the player's display name" in your title settings.

In summary, you can create a rule that triggers with the player_added_title event and take the action to execute the Azure Function that updates the player's display name.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Matt avatar image Matt commented ·

Wow ok, I had no idea that functionality was available. I will definitely be checking that out! That answer was flawless, and I greatly appreciate the links you provided. Feel free to change this to an Answer and mark it resolved.

Thank you greatly!

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.