question

Greggory Addison avatar image
Greggory Addison asked

How does a player know they've been invited to a lobby?

I see the "SubscribeToLobbyResource" API but it doesn't have a dynamic delegate that is fired every time a lobby invite is sent to a client. How can I bind to a lobby invite so I can raise a UI event to set up an accept or decline state for the lobby invite?

Also the docs say that this API is not ready to be called by customers. So for now what is the correct solution to making sure a UI element pops up when a player gets an invite?

EDIT*

According to this forum post a required parameter to subscribe to invite notifications is not built into playfab. Is there a tutorial out there on how to implement Azure PubSub into a game?

sdksunrealmultiplayerMatchmakingdocumentation
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Gosen Gao avatar image
Gosen Gao answered

As Lobby invites - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs mentions, “The invited player will receive the invitation via PFLobbyInviteReceivedStateChange and can use the attached connection string to join the lobby.” As for Pub Sub, you can refer to Real-time notifications for Lobby and Matchmaking APIs - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs. Please note that, “Using Lobby, Matchmaking, and real-time notifications directly with REST and SignalR APIs is significantly more complex than using client SDKs such as the Lobby C++ SDK and Matchmaking C++ SDK, and should only be done if the SDKs don't meet your needs.”

3 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Greggory Addison avatar image Greggory Addison commented ·

There is no PFLobbyInviteReceivedStateChangeanywhere in the unreal playfab plugin even after updating I’m not able to find that type.

0 Likes 0 ·
Gosen Gao avatar image Gosen Gao Greggory Addison commented ·

Please refer to Azure PlayFab Lobby SDKs - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs, and choose the SDK based on your needs.

0 Likes 0 ·
Greggory Addison avatar image Greggory Addison Gosen Gao commented ·

I'm using the Unreal OSS plugin which wraps the C++ client sdk. However there is no real guidance on

1. How To Bind To Events

2. How To Properly Call Events

3. Best Practices

The C++ code you shared with me from the docs is if I was coding the system in a custom engine or a engine like cryengine. I have also been reading through the code. None of the lobby delegates are fired anywhere. They have no uses in the code. I really want you guys to understand just how confusing this plugin is with absolutely with no documentation. Whats even worse is i really cant test what I'm doing to trouble shoot myself

**EDIT

I found how the code flow. SUPER CONFUSING lol but I'll spend the next day or 2 setting this up and gonna try and make a tutorial for this because this is not covered anywhere.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.