question

Greggory Addison avatar image
Greggory Addison asked

Matchmaking With Friends You've invited to a lobby

Currently I have fragments of how this is supposed to be set up and its frustrating me that a company that is designing tools that are supposed to make bringing players together simpler doesn't have a step by step walk through of a simple setup of this.

Can someone please give me a high level overview of the correct way to :

1. Invite my friends to a lobby

2. Take that lobby into matchmaking and play a match as a team together

3. Maintain that lobby once the match has ended.

If the feature set for this doesn't exist it should be a priority! No many want to play a multiplayer game by themselves.

Also the naming conventions for things like playfab party and lobby are confusing. For a whole week I was thinking I could set something like this up in party to find out that party is for P2P. Shouldn't it be named PlayFab P2P??

Then I read this article about lobbies and matchmaking and I get a strange feeling its written from a P2P/Listen server perspective and not really from dedicated server.

This is the last portion of features I want to get going before testing dedicated servers in general, I cant seem to find a solution for it.

apisunrealFriendsmultiplayerMatchmaking
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Gosen Gao avatar image
Gosen Gao answered

1. Invite my friends to a lobby

You can invite your friends to the lobby you own, refer to Lobby invites - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs.

2. Take that lobby into matchmaking and play a match as a team together

After all friends have been invited, you can create a Matchmaking ticket and contain all lobby member in MembersToMatchWith. Then let other members join the ticket via Matchmaking - Join Matchmaking Ticket - REST API (PlayFab Multiplayer) | Microsoft Docs.

3. Maintain that lobby once the match has ended.

Lobby will maintain by default.

Also the naming conventions for things like playfab party and lobby are confusing. For a whole week I was thinking I could set something like this up in party to find out that party is for P2P. Shouldn't it be named PlayFab P2P??

Azure PlayFab Party is a low-latency chat and data communication solution for cross-platform and cross-device multiplayer games. The voice and text features in Party can be used as a standalone chat solution. Using direct peer-to-peer connections is only a sub-feature of Party.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.