question

Greggory Addison avatar image
Greggory Addison asked

Best Approach for a Hub World Like Lobby With Friends Before Matchmaking

I'm planning out a system where your lobby can run around in a hub world together before matchmaking, similar to destiny but on a smaller scale. There will be shops to get cosmetic items and NPCs with quests to track. In this world there is no interaction between players other than visual things like a name tag. But I would like movement to be replicated between each client in the party. I had a flow mapped out but I'm not sure which playfab feature set to use to create this. Hopefully this helps get my point across

My question is, should I use Lobbies or PlayFab Party to achieve this? Is this even possible within playfab? I still want to matchmake on dedicated servers. Only the pregame lobby with friends will be P2P.

apisCloudScriptunrealmultiplayerMatchmaking
hubworldflow.jpg (162.9 KiB)
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Xiao Zha avatar image
Xiao Zha answered

Since you want to synchronize the movement of each client in Lobby, which means you want to have data communication between clients. So, the Party P2P connections system is able to meet your needs.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Greggory Addison avatar image Greggory Addison commented ·

Last night I was doing some reading and there’s some out there saying that party and dedicated servers aren’t meant to mix. I was thinking you could break the p2p session whenever players wanted to matchmake for PvP. Is this done manually? Or is it possible to send a p2p party into a dedicated server as a pre made group

0 Likes 0 ·
Xiao Zha avatar image Xiao Zha Greggory Addison commented ·

Yes, it needs to be done manually. You can let players play and wait for matchmaking in lobbies implemented based on Party p2p, and when the matchmaking is successful, you can manually connect players to your dedicated server.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.