question

Admin Inistrator avatar image
Admin Inistrator asked

Playstream Event before login

How can I send a playstream event when the app starts and before the player logins to PlayFab?

This is for a mobile game.

We want to do deeper funnel session events measuring but the first event sent by PlayFab is only the Login event due to the entity restrictions. This makes our analytics system impossible to measure pre-login churn.

Also we would like to measure session length with playstream events and we can't seem to find a way to do it.

I see these 2 events in the API docs but I cannot see them in the events log. Are they sent? And how?
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/api-references/events/session-started
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/api-references/events/session-ended

PlayStream
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Rick Chen avatar image
Rick Chen answered

Players should login to PlayFab before sending any events. You don’t want anonymous people spamming events in your title. The events you mentioned are legacy events. You can use the WriteTelemetryEvents API to write your custom events for analytics.

3 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Admin Inistrator avatar image Admin Inistrator commented ·

Thank you @Rick Chen

We do want events before the login because we need to measure funnels in our game and churn.

This makes attribution and pre login measurement impossible.

Currently I would need to use Unity analytics or Firebase just for this event data point between app opening and login confirmed

WriteTelemetryEvents still requires login. Is there a way to do it without login?

0 Likes 0 ·
JayZuo avatar image JayZuo ♦ Admin Inistrator commented ·

As Rick has said, there is no way to do this with PlayFab as each API (except login ones) needs an Authorization Header when calling it and the Authorization Header is got after login.

0 Likes 0 ·
Admin Inistrator avatar image Admin Inistrator commented ·

bump for a reply @Rick Chen

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.