question

hampusbankler avatar image
hampusbankler asked

Restricting registration with key

I'd like to release a closed alpha of my game. I imagine an approach where I distribute premade alpha keys. When a player registers, she has to provide her key. If the key is valid and not already used by someone else, the registrations goes through, otherwise it doesn't. If registration goes through, the key should obviously be removed from the list of valid keys.

What would be the easiest/best approach?

Edit: My game is built in Unity for PC/Mac. Players register with email-adress when they first start the game. There's no anonymous registration.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

What you could do is use our Coupon system to generate coupons for an item from your game's catalog, and then check if the player has that item when the game starts. You would need to give people the ability to sign into the game and call RedeemCoupon, and you would want to have some logic in Cloud Script that validates the inventory item before sending some key data to the client, so that a hacked client couldn't just bypass that test.

We will also be providing the ability to disable any/all Client API calls for your title shortly, as well as provide Server API versions of many of the remaining Client API calls, so once that's available another approach would be to only allow creation of player accounts via a community site, and only have LoginWithPlayFab available as a way to sign in, with their username and password.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

hampusbankler avatar image hampusbankler commented ·

Thank you so much Brendan for taking your time to reply on a Saturday. It worked like a charm! Is there any limit to how many coupons I can generate in the free tier that I need to know about? Best regards.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan hampusbankler commented ·

Well, you can only generate a few at a time via the Game Manager, but you can create as many as you need that way, as long as you space out the calls. For enterprise customers, we can also create and run a task to generate higher numbers of coupons, if needed.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.