question

brian-8 avatar image
brian-8 asked

Multiple Matches Per Game Server

I have been researching a bunch and this seems to consistently come up and there hasn't been an actual answer on if its truly possible or not. I have seen some answers say yes with some custom code and then no one responds with details.

It seems like a very simple requirement, I have a game server that can support hundreds of matches at once because they are turn-based games with 2 players in each game. I have two uses cases - I want to create a match manually between two friends and assign them to a game server to play on and they will pass in their match ID to be paired up or we use the matchmaking queues and they get a match id and matched up that way.

In theory I'm okay with my game servers always being on as realistically I'll always have games running at any given time.

Really I just need a way to get an open game server that has capacity (say I set a limit of 200 players per server) and then I can hand it off with a match id to the players to connect.

This seems like a very basic requirement and I'm finding it hard to believe Playfab doesn't support this.

I am really hoping someone can help as I have enjoyed the platform so far but this is going to be a major showstopper.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Xiao Zha avatar image
Xiao Zha answered

Since the Multiplayer server is session-based game server service, as the server instance starts when there are a group of players want a match, and it shuts down when this match is over. It is not designed for long time running. And we'd suggest always using one server instance for one match. Please note that one VM can host multiple server instances. You can do some performance testing to see how many server instance can run in a VM.

3 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brian-8 avatar image brian-8 commented ·

This seems like a huge waste of resources to have multiple instances of .Net and Unity running when I could host 100-200 matches on that same container. I also have to grab all the startup data every match which doesn't change and I cache on my server.

Are there any plans to support lobby like servers or anything like this?

I'm building a very large scale MMO and its seeming like the multiplayer stuff here isn't going to work for me here.

0 Likes 0 ·
Xiao Zha avatar image Xiao Zha brian-8 commented ·

You may refer to this thread: Non session-based multiplayer - Playfab Community.

0 Likes 0 ·
JayZuo avatar image JayZuo ♦ brian-8 commented ·

You may take a look of Azure for Gaming where you can host the sever as whatever you want.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.