question

innova3di avatar image
innova3di asked

Is Unity Mirror required to be used with PlayFab Multiplayer Service?

I have been reading the Official Docs here, and I have never seen it mentioned Mirror in order to make a game an Online Multiplayer.

My matchmaking feature is already implemented by using PlayFab's API alone.
Now, I want to bring the matched players into the game scene for a multiplayer battle.

Can PlayFab do this by itself? or PlayFab and Mirror rely on each other?

multiplayerMatchmaking
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Dimitris-Ilias Gkanatsios avatar image
Dimitris-Ilias Gkanatsios answered

No, PlayFab Multiplayer Servers is not dependent on any networking library. The only requirement is that the game server implements the GSDK. GSDK for Unity is here gsdk/UnityGsdk at main PlayFab/gsdk (github.com)

Our Unity sample, as you probably noticed, uses Mirror (MpsSamples/UnityMirror at main PlayFab/MpsSamples (github.com)) but you are free to use any networking library you like. What library would you like to use?

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

innova3di avatar image innova3di commented ·

@dgkanatsios, I intend to use Mirror as it is always on top search results associated with PlayFab.

I tried using NetCode, Unity's newest networking library but I remember their docs stating they currently do not support Matchmaking. Then I found PlayFab and implemented Sign In -> Matchmaking.

I'm wondering if PlayFab alone can achieve the next step which is bringing in matched players into the scene. Or do I need another library together with PlayFab for this to be implemented? And if there is, does Mirror take the top position as the most easy to use that just work perfectly with PlayFab and Unity?

0 Likes 0 ·
Xiao Zha avatar image Xiao Zha innova3di commented ·

A networking library like Mirror is meant to simplify the networking part of your game development. If you want to use PlayFab alone, you have to implement the networking library function on your own. In addition, we are not experts in networking library, you should decide which networking library to use based on your own needs.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.