question

Kytan avatar image
Kytan asked

Playfab Multiplayer Servers Steam Session Issue | UE4

I'm using the Playfab dedicated servers and i'm running into some issues, I managed to make a working server with the implementation of the GSDK in unreal engine 4.27.2.

I have an issue tho, my game works with Steam, the idea is to have the dedicated server create a Session with Steam on the Game Instance "Init" event, but i'm having issues with that, I've tried locally with the LocalMultiplayeAgent, it works and the session pops up in the sessions list but when testing with a Server build it just doesn't show up, but I didn't see any error in the logs.

My guess is that I need to add some ports to the build but I don't know which ones to add or even if that's the problem, for now i'm just using the GSDK port which is "UnrealServerGsdkHostPort" UDP 7777.

Thanks in advance, i've been stuck on this issue for a few days now.

Custom Game Serversmultiplayer
1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

kevin-7 avatar image kevin-7 commented ·

Hi!

I also have a very similar issue (details here: https://community.playfab.com/questions/67626/server-fail-to-respond.html) and I was wandering if you were able to fixe this?

0 Likes 0 ·
Gosen Gao avatar image
Gosen Gao answered

If your server works locally with LocalMultiplayeAgent, it should also work as a PlayFab server build with the same settings. I would recommend that you can generate some logs at the key points, such as the result of the method to create steam session and client info while a new client is connected. Then you can check the logs to confirm the reason why you can't see the session list is because the session creation failed, or because the client failed to connect to the server to get the list.

And the ports of a server build are the ports that your game is listening to, if the creation of steam session needs to listen to a port, then you need to add it to the configuration of your server build.

6 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Kytan avatar image Kytan commented ·

I've compared the log from the LocalMultiplayerAgent and the one from the server build, I have attached the log results when actually creating the Session, also I've opened these ports on the server build that i found here: Steam Support :: Required Ports for Steam (steampowered.com) but still not working:

0 Likes 0 ·
Kytan avatar image Kytan Kytan commented ·

There is a small difference in the creation logs but I'm not sure if its related / how to fix that.

These are the ports i've opened in the server build:

0 Likes 0 ·
screenshot-1.png (10.1 KiB)
Gosen Gao avatar image Gosen Gao Kytan commented ·

Since we are not experts on steam, may I know how does your client get the session info? By connecting to PlayFab server or getting from Steam directly?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Dimitris-Ilias Gkanatsios avatar image
Dimitris-Ilias Gkanatsios answered

Is the Steam connection using HTTPS? Wondering if certificates might be the issue here, even though this would be visible via logs. Are you using Windows or Linux?

For reference, here's the solution for HTTPS issues using Epic Online Services -> MpsSamples/amazon_root_ca.md at main PlayFab/MpsSamples (github.com)

Again, the issue you are encountering might be a totally different one, hard to tell without logs.

5 comments
10 |1200

Hi, I believe that it is using HTTPS but i'm not sure, I'm using Windows, I already have all of those certificates setup in my server folder, I will send you the Server logs tomorrow.

0 Likes 0 ·
Dimitris-Ilias Gkanatsios avatar image Dimitris-Ilias Gkanatsios Kytan commented ·

the fact that they are in the server folder doesn't necessarily mean that this will work, they need to be registered with the Windows certificate store. What is the Steam HTTPS endpoint btw? Looking forward to the logs

0 Likes 0 ·
Kytan avatar image Kytan Dimitris-Ilias Gkanatsios commented ·

I'm pretty sure that the certificates are working because I had to include them to fix another issue with the Playfab login with server id and that worked. I believe the HTTPS endpoint is "api.steampowered.com", you can find more information here: Web API Overview (Steamworks Documentation) (steamgames.com). I have attached the latest server logs. ue4playfabserverlogs.txt

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

I'm currently using Containers, but I've also tried Processes and it didn't work.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.