question

hampusbankler avatar image
hampusbankler asked

Bug reporting

I want my players to be able to submit bugs. I imagine a bug report consisting of a ticketID, username and description or something like that. I would like to see all these reports listed in some convenient way. What would be the best way of implementing this?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Joshua Strunk avatar image
Joshua Strunk answered

The quickest way would probably be to just send the data into a Cloud Script call. From there you can send it out to a 3rd party through a web api call of some kind. Simplest would be to just email all the bugs to a bugs@company email. Slightly above that sending it into a 3rd party bug tracking services. Even more complicated than that would be to send it into your own bug tracking service.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image brendan commented ·

Definitely the quickest ways. Two other things I'll add:

1. You could use PlaySteam for this, generating a custom event for the bug report from the customer. You'd need to set up an S3 bucket to receive all the events, but you could then auto-propagate Redshift tables from that, which you could then use as your "ticket" database.

2. We also want to add a ZenDesk integration in the future. We prioritize our work in part based upon how many people are asking for any particular feature, so if you want that integration, please be sure to go to the Add-ons Marketplace and click on the "notify me when this is available" option.

1 Like 1 ·
Joshua Strunk avatar image Joshua Strunk commented ·

Just realized the question I answered that had the topic of sending email from cloud script is not on forums. If you are unsure on how to do this its done by finding a web service that lets you send email through a web api. The service that came up in that answer was MailGun but I am sure there is an abundance of choice for this kind of service.

0 Likes 0 ·
dragonfoundry avatar image
dragonfoundry answered

If you're in Unity and on iOS/Android only, there's a good ZenDesk integration that lets you allow players to submit right from the app. For Steam/Standalone, there's no comparable plugin, and the C# plugins available require a newer version of .Net. (I'm currently hacking away at that code to slice out enough pieces that do work in Unity, as that's still easier than writing & testing my own integration...)

1 comment
10 |1200

hampusbankler avatar image hampusbankler commented ·

Thanks for the input. I'm on Unity/Standalone.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.