question

Luc avatar image
Luc asked

Getting "413 Payload Too Large" when trying to do anything with Title Data

Lately, when trying to manipulate the Title Data through the PlayFab developer website, it won't accept any changes.

- Delete keys

- Edit keys

- When I click "Upload JSON", I get the error even before I get a file picker dialog.

I CAN still use the Admin API through my Node JS server.

This is the error I'm getting:

Top of the page:

• There was an error while loading data from the server. Please reload the page to retry.

Bottom of the page:

• There are some errors on this page.

Chrome console:

• /api/en-us/XXXXX/content/title-data/edit/check:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 413 ()

I will try to programmatically remove the Title Data and see if the website becomes usable again. In the mean time, can you guys tell me how to solve this through the website itself?

Addendum #1:

Deleting all keys from the Admin API allowed me to edit the TitleData again, BUT:

...the bug report is now reduced to the following steps:

1) Please generate a more HELPFUL error message (e.g. too much data in keys, or even "413 Payload Too Large" would do)

2) Please allow me to DELETE keys when there is too much data. Even when, after deletion, there is STILL too much data.

3) Please align the data quota with the Admin API (hopefully in my favor)

Addendum #2

- If use the Website to delete this one key that is 986 kb, it won't let me.

- If use the API to delete this one key that is 986 kb, the website works again.

- If I delete all other keys (that have a total size of ~1000 kb), the website does not work still.

So it appears to occur when a single key is too big. Key count doesn't matter.

- If I delete the key through the API, the website doesn't work immediately. I have to refresh the browser. This makes me think it's a client error.

Title DataContent
1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Luc avatar image Luc commented ·

0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

UPDATE: Now Title Data upload size limit on Game Manager has been increased. Feel free to let me know if you have any other issues.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Gosen Gao avatar image
Gosen Gao answered

I tried to delete a key with a size of 960kb with Game Manager, and it was deleted successfully. Since Title Data has a size limit of 1,000,000bytes(976kb), you can check this info at title settings’ limits page. If you upload a JSON file that exceeds this limit, the Game Manager will report an error “DataLengthExceeded”. If you want to delete some keys to reduce the file size, you need to modify the file locally. If the current behavior of PlayFab Service doesn’t meet your needs, please feel free to post a feature request for your requirements.

As for “If I delete the key through the API, the website doesn't work immediately”, as the documentation mentions, “Title Data values are copied and distributed to potentially hundreds of machines in the PlayFab server cluster. As part of this process, Title Data is cached, and changes may take up to fifteen minutes to refresh in those caches. Title Data is best suited for Global Constant/Static Data and is not suitable or reliable as Global Variables.

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.