question

Jeremy Rose avatar image
Jeremy Rose asked

GetPlayFabIDsFrom...

Is there no way to get accounts from Device ID?

Specifically IOS but im sure android as well.

I am wanting to present the use with information about the account in question when asking to link the account to another one.

I am able to get the the playfab using steam or gamecenter.

It would of been great is all the Link... Api requests besides just returning an error when force is false. Would let you know the playfab id of the other account.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Rick Chen avatar image
Rick Chen answered

The device id is a secret for the account owner, since there are APIs that allow you to login with the device id, for example Login With Android Device ID - REST API (PlayFab Client) | Microsoft Docs. It is not secure to get PlayFab ID from the device id.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Jeremy Rose avatar image Jeremy Rose commented ·

Thanks,

Not sure about the security though, security of the device id is in its difficulty to guess.

I can makeup random device ids and try to login with them. Not sure why if someone was making up random ids they could do anything more malicious when just asking for the playfab id.

The flow I am dealing with is that the user has logged into an account in this case using their Username/Pass. They want to now link it to steam for instance.

I make the LinkSteamAccount call it returns already linked. I can then pass that steam id to GetPlayfabIDsFromSteam and get the playfab id, then lookup the display name and present to the player. "This steam account is already linked to XXX do you want to link it still?"

This same flow now when linking a device ID. It returns already linked. But for device ids you say I must login with the device id. Get the displayname. Then log back into the account I am trying to link it to incase they say yes. Why the extra step of a login? I am already on the device, I already have the device ID in question.

I hoped I was missing something but it seem I am not. And will have to deal with doing logins to retrieve the account info when linking by device id.

0 Likes 0 ·
Rick Chen avatar image Rick Chen ♦ Jeremy Rose commented ·

Yes, if you have the device id, you can login with that id and retrieve the display name. So it is not necessary to make another GetPlayfabIDsFrom Device Id API for that. In addition, the login will generate events that will help you track the login activities.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.