question

jccacha14 avatar image
jccacha14 asked

Beasts and Items - Best Practices

This is my first game that uses PlayFab. I'm building a game where the player can capture beasts and also collect items, I'm not one hundred percent sure about what are the best practices to implement this using PlayFab. I'm not sure wether I can save, for instance, the stats of the beasts in the Catalog or should I use a separate JSon file. I'd like to know what is considered best practices in this subject. I'd rather treat beasts as characters.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Best practices are going to vary pretty widely depending on the specifics of what you're trying to implement. If, in your case, the stats for the beasts are "fixed" - so, creature A has a specific set of stats which are the same for all players, then storing those values in the catalog would be best. But if, as I suspect, your intent is that the beasts start with the same stats but players can change them over time, then you should have the base stats in the catalog, but store the customized version on the individual beasts.

As to the Character system, that may be overkill, depending on your use case. Characters are sub-entities of the Player that have their own inventory, virtual currency, and statistics/leaderboards. If you don't need all that - and in particular, if you want players to be able to have a lot of beasts - I would recommend simply making the beasts inventory items, and store their custom stats as CustomData on the inventory item instances.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jccacha14 avatar image jccacha14 commented ·

Thank you very much!

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.