question

Ayrton Olvera avatar image
Ayrton Olvera asked

Should the server cancel a backfill ticket and create another one when a player exits?

Greetings!

In the latest days my players were experiencing some matchmaking inconsistency, specially when trying to match, sometimes none of the players could match either to a new session or an existing one via backfilling.

My dedicated servers automatically generates a backfilling ticket when the session starts, and I've noticed in the PlayStream that the backfill ticket includes all the users in the session, even though some of them are not longer in there (either exited or got kicked out for being AFK), and those users take too long to match again into another session or they timeout completely.

So I'm wondering

• Is the backfill ticket affecting the matchmaking of those players? Since they are still in the list of that ticket
  • Should I cancel the backfill ticket and create another with the updated players list whenever a player exits?
  • And finally, Should I make that the player CancelAllMatchmakingTicketsForPlayerRequest when it's in the main menu?

I'm using Unreal Engine 4.27.2

Thanks!

unrealCustom Game ServersMatchmakingPlayStream
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Rick Chen avatar image
Rick Chen answered

The backfill ticket with a list of players that is not updated can affect the matchmaking. How it is affected depends on your matchmaking queue. The updated backfill ticket can make a more accurate match but it may not be necessary. It depends on if your game needs a more accurate match.

About whether you should cancel all matchmaking ticket requests for a player who is in the main menu, it is up to you. If the player no longer wants to join a match, you can cancel all their tickets.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.