question

Matthew Miskiewicz avatar image
Matthew Miskiewicz asked

Faster alternative to Queue Triggered Azure Function?

I created a queue trigger Azure Function that I wanted to run on all of my players (270k), via an automated task. However, the azure function calls seem to be made at a fairly slow pace - after 2 hrs of running, it is only 75% complete. I'm not exactly sure if the bottleneck is Azure or PlayFab (it seems to me that PlayFab is not submitting requests quickly).

I'm also using a queue function for weekly liveops, running on about 10-20k players, and even that has taken over half an hr to complete (with a mysterious pausing then resuming of the operations).

My question is, is there a way to expedite these functions? Or is there a different recommended solution for this type of operation? I'm partially thinking ahead and what we would do if the player count scales. Thanks!

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Made Wang avatar image
Made Wang answered

The Azure Function triggered by the queue will run its methods one by one, and only one method is being executed in a queue at a time. When you have 270K players this time is bound to be long.

Refer to Azure Functions scale and hosting | Microsoft Docs, Azure Function has multiple hosting modes with different performance, you can consult the Azure team for specific details.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.