question

Jeremy Rose avatar image
Jeremy Rose asked

Display Name change without adding extra numbers

Is there no way to specify a display name without adding the extra numbers?

I have enabled the number generation to be appended to the display name when set.

But I really want to be able to specify a specific display name as well. I had hopped the admin or the web interface would let it be set as is. But both add the extra numbers to it still.

Is there not a way to specify it explicitly?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Rick Chen avatar image
Rick Chen answered

The point to append randomly generated digits to a display name is preventing the name conflict. If the specific name without appending digits is allowed, this can cause the name conflict issue.

You can disable appending random digits to the display name on your title and do it on your own.

5 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Jeremy Rose avatar image Jeremy Rose commented ·

Yes but then players can issue client calls and change their names outside the game without adding numbers. As there isn't a good way to stop this. No hooks to intercept the calls.

I think I could turn off client access altogether but that makes a lot more work since there still isn't a cloud code version of UpdateTitleDisplayName.

And I don't want a way to bypass the numbers on the client call. Only the admin or web portal interface should have an option to bypass it. And if the name is duplicated it can return an error as it would anyways.

I will have to find another solution to my issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jeremy Rose avatar image Jeremy Rose commented ·

And the use case I had in mind was to change players names to non number versions if they were certain verified accounts. To set them apart. So can lots of Brian#### but only one Brian.

I will have to do it with custom data or something else.

0 Likes 0 ·
Rick Chen avatar image Rick Chen ♦ Jeremy Rose commented ·

There is no such feature to fully customize the display name while the appending number is enabled. The players with the same name are common, what if many players named Brian were all verified?

0 Likes 0 ·
Jeremy Rose avatar image Jeremy Rose Rick Chen ♦ commented ·

I think your missing what I was asking for. I don't want to change the public client id functionality. If the numbers are enabled they should be appended same as now.

What I want is a Admin way set the display name to whatever value I want it set to.

Even when the append numbers are enabled. And it can use the same rules otherwise. If the name I try to set it to already exists it should return an error saying it already in use. When unique names is enabled.

So it is impossible for any player to ever have the name Brian. Because only admins or dashboard can set it to a non number suffix name. But this gives me the Admin or Operator who have verified externally this players account can set their name to Brian without numbers.

If someone else has been verified before and has the name Brian then obviously someone else can not have the same name if unique names is enabled.

Think like celebrity or streamer etc.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.