question

brendan avatar image
brendan asked

What's the format of the PlayStream Event Archive?

Question from a developer:

Once I've set up my S3 bucket for the PlayStream Event Archive, how are the events delivered? What's the format of the files, and how are they organized?

PlayStream
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Edit: Updating and clarifying export timing.

In your S3 bucket, if you've specified a Prefix, there will be a folder with that name, where all the events will be delivered. If you didn't specify a Prefix, we'll be starting at the root of the bucket.

First, a sub-folder will exist for every event, with the fully qualified name as the folder name. In that will be folders for years, in those there'll be folders for months, and in there, days. In the days folders, we write the events to .gz (GZip) files, up to once every 10-20 seconds (depending on the volume of events, it may be significantly less). The file names the fully qualified event name, timestamp, version info, and a generated value.

So, I just ran a test in my own Title ID (5F4), logging in a user three times in a row. There's now a folder in my S3 bucket in:

com.playfab.player_logged_in/2016/10/27/

named:

playfab-events-com.playfab.player_logged_in-2016-10-27T1744Z-v1-9e2f8385.jsonstream.gz

In it are the events for that 10 second period - the login calls I made:

{"EventName":"player_logged_in","Platform":"PlayFab","PlatformUserId":"ADADCB6F9583EA99","EventNamespace":"com.playfab","EntityType":"player","Source":"PlayFab","TitleId":"5F4","EventId":"593ed883a20e499ea69d77cfd48be040","EntityId":"ADADCB6F9583EA99","SourceType":"BackEnd","Timestamp":"2016-10-27T17:44:36.7772602Z","History":null,"CustomTags":null,"Reserved":null}
{"EventName":"player_logged_in","Platform":"PlayFab","PlatformUserId":"ADADCB6F9583EA99","EventNamespace":"com.playfab","EntityType":"player","Source":"PlayFab","TitleId":"5F4","EventId":"f8e0ddb47a774cb6900b8179e41a98be","EntityId":"ADADCB6F9583EA99","SourceType":"BackEnd","Timestamp":"2016-10-27T17:44:37.049571Z","History":null,"CustomTags":null,"Reserved":null}
{"EventName":"player_logged_in","Platform":"PlayFab","PlatformUserId":"ADADCB6F9583EA99","EventNamespace":"com.playfab","EntityType":"player","Source":"PlayFab","TitleId":"5F4","EventId":"08dae4a808634bd4a93011e90de9f0cc","EntityId":"ADADCB6F9583EA99","SourceType":"BackEnd","Timestamp":"2016-10-27T17:44:37.7936194Z","History":null,"CustomTags":null,"Reserved":null}

You'll notice that these are the same as the JSON you see in the PlayStream tabs of the Game Manager. This makes it easy to parse the data, whether into Redshift or another database, for analysis.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Brent Batas (Lisk) avatar image Brent Batas (Lisk) commented ·

Approximately how frequently are events written to the event archive? (e.g. approximately how long does it take for an event to show up in the S3 bucket after being generated via the server API?)

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Brent Batas (Lisk) commented ·

It varies, but as long as there's no connection issue between the AWS datacenters involved (which can happen, but is rate), it would be less than a minute. We package all the events for a period of time (10-20 seconds) and upload that as a zip to a folder based on the event. The path is basically: {TitleID}/{event}/{year}/{month}/{day}/{zip files go here}.

1 Like 1 ·
SL Tech avatar image
SL Tech answered

@Brendan When I try to parse the event archive file with Python, I get an error like so:

events = json.loads(u_str)
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python/2.7.11/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/json/__init__.py", line 339, in loads
    return _default_decoder.decode(s)
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python/2.7.11/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/json/decoder.py", line 364, in decode
    obj, end = self.raw_decode(s, idx=_w(s, 0).end())
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python/2.7.11/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/json/decoder.py", line 382, in raw_decode
    raise ValueError("No JSON object could be decoded")
ValueError: No JSON object could be decoded

using

import json
import gzip

fp = gzip.open("test.gz")
contents = fp.read() # contents now has the uncompressed bytes of foo.gz
fp.close()
u_str = contents.decode('utf-8') # u_str is now a unicode string
print("data: ", u_str)
events = json.loads(u_str)

with or without utf-8. There seems to be some additional characters in the file. Is there a specific way to parse the playfab file for the event JSON? Please help

2 comments
10 |1200

brendan avatar image brendan commented ·

Bear in mind that a JSON Stream file is newline delimited, while loads is looking to read a JSON object. If you use a "for line" to pass each line of JSON data into your loads call, that should work.

0 Likes 0 ·
SL Tech avatar image SL Tech brendan commented ·

It was an issue with decoding.

u_str = contents.decode('utf-8-sig')

did the trick because of the BOM at the beginning.

Hope that helps others.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.