question

cartellonegerardo avatar image
cartellonegerardo asked

I need to store player data and i need something to make peer to peer connections between players possible. Is playfab what i'm looking for?

I'm basically making a special chat/game in unity. So i think I need a server running with code for players to be able to find each other. But once they find each other I want them to connect to each other one acting as the server the other as the client so they don't over use the server well i'm still undecided about that everything is up for debate recently i have being seeing info that it's maybe a bad idea to use peer to peer instead of just having one dedicated server. Every player will have a friend list so I need to store data relevant to them in a server, something like MongoDB, i had made a website before that used that to store player info but i'm not sure if it's the right approach for a unity game and how i would go about it. Currently i'm just starting out with the game in the google play store so i preferably want the players to be able to use their google accounts to authenticate in to the game but eventually i may expand the game to other platforms such as steam. I'm quite confused about what exactly is play-fab all i understood is you can authenticate with a google account to it, my objective with the authentication would be that my dedicated servers just checks if a user performing an action is indeed logged in before allowing them to request to start chat with another user or for any other actions. I have an amazon ec2 server already is their any advantages with the play-fab servers . Thanks in advance for any help.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Made Wang avatar image
Made Wang answered

>>So i think I need a server running with code for players to be able to find each other.

If you're talking about matching then you can use PlayFab matchmaking to achieve that, refer to Matchmaking - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs to learn more.

>>But once they find each other I want them to connect to each other one acting as the server the other as the client so they don't over use the server well.

For P2P connection, you can use PlayFab Party, refer to Using direct peer-to-peer connections - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs.

>>Every player will have a friend list

You can add friends by calling AddFriend, or get a list of friends by calling GetFriendsList, refer to Friends lists - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs.

>>Currently i'm just starting out with the game in the google play store so i preferably want the players to be able to use their google accounts to authenticate in to the game but eventually i may expand the game to other platforms such as steam.

PlayFab provides multi-platform authentication methods, players can use the method that best suits them to log in to the game, refer to Platform-Specific Authentication - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs to learn more.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

cartellonegerardo avatar image cartellonegerardo commented ·

thx i see plafab seems to have all the things i need. I guess i shall give it a try.

0 Likes 0 ·
cartellonegerardo avatar image
cartellonegerardo answered

cool that playfab seems to have all i want, i guess my main concern would be that maybe i won't be able to customize things like i want i guess i'll see, i don't think my requirements are too specific, I think i'm going to try it out at least. In any case thx a lot for your guidance.

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.