question

Laarni avatar image
Laarni asked

How long does it take to update any change of DisplayName from the catalogue?

I am using it in a way that after several goals are achieved in the game, i will update them. But how long for these changes to be available?

game manager
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Sorry, can you clarify exactly what you mean concerning changing the DisplayName of items in your catalog? It sounds like you're saying that you're changing your catalog based on the actions of a single player, which wouldn't work - the catalog is global to all players.

4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Laarni avatar image Laarni commented ·

What i meant is that after a deadline, the items in the catalog will change. So i will update and change all the DisplayNames after the deadline. the catalog will remain the same for all the players and none of them have any access to change or modify it. So basically, i just update the items display names via the playfab platform in economy/catalogs. But after my change, how long does it take to have these changes ready for any API calls?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Laarni commented ·

What you want to do aligns well to how we designed the catalog system from the start. You'll notice that each catalog is identified by a "CatalogVersion" - not a "CatalogId". The idea is that you would update have all items in your catalog, create a new version with any changes you need, and then swap it to be the Primary Catalog when you need the change to occur.

One reason for this is that catalogs, like Title Data are sharded and cached data, since it has to be served to all users across the entire game (and so cannot be a single entry in a data table). Because of that, it can take a couple of minutes for a chance to a CatalogVersion to propagate across the cache. The version ID for the catalog is a very compact piece of data which can be updated much more rapidly.

0 Likes 0 ·
Laarni avatar image Laarni commented ·

Best answer ever!!! thank you so much!!

0 Likes 0 ·
chrisk avatar image chrisk commented ·

@brendan What if we want to update an item in an existing catalog version? How long does it take to propagate?

For example, we want to release client v1.0.34 which uses the 1.0.34 catalog and we want to update said catalog. How do we do this?

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.