question

João Xavier avatar image
João Xavier asked

PlayFab API request failure: Timeout

Hi,

Since last Friday we've got two strange instances of errors in the PlayFab API within CloudScript.

They have been:

"Level": "Error", 
"Message": "PlayFab API request failure",
"Data": {
    "api": "/Server/GetCatalogItems", 
    "request": { 
        "CatalogVersion": "Creatures"
    },
    "error": "Timeout"
}

And:

"Level": "Error",
"Message": "PlayFab API request failure",
"Data": {
    "api": "/Server/EvaluateRandomResultTable",
    "request": {
        "TableId": "CreaturePack_1_Pick_1_Tier_2_default",
        "CatalogVersion": "Creatures"
    },
    "error": "Timeout"
}

Called from a CloudScript service of ours. Since we haven't seen these errors before, I find it strange that they start happening now.

Any clue to what might be causing this?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Since you have a number of titles with that CatalogVersion, can you please specify which Title ID you're seeing this error on? Also, can you let us know:

How are you calling these methods (from your custom game server, from Cloud Script called by a client, or from Cloud Script called by a PlayStream Action)?

Are these results reproducible and, if not, when you saw them?

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

João Xavier avatar image João Xavier commented ·

Both occurences have been from a CloudScript method called by a client.
Not easily reproducible, as I've mentioned, they just popped out twice. One of them has been for sure in 64E6, and I believe the other one as well.

The only occurrence I can easily trace back to is October 23rd 2:13 PM for player 78C759E3BA544DD0 (64E6).

Since it was on a Sunday, it is guaranteed that we were not pushing updates in the meanwhile.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan João Xavier commented ·

From looking at your title, and in particular the log info for that player, I strongly suspect that the issue was that it had been long enough since any Cloud Script call had been made for your game that there were no engines running. So the first call to your script took longer than expected and hit a timeout. This isn't something a live title could run into, since for any non-trivial number of players, you'll never have a time when there isn't at least one engine running for your Cloud Script calls. And even in the first-player case, most of the time this should still pass.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.