question

Drew Kestell avatar image
Drew Kestell asked

Seeking suggestions on SSL architecture for browser based game,Seeking suggestions on SSL architecture for browser based trivia game

I'm currently working on a browser-based trivia game. I have a website built in .NET, deployed to Azure App Service. Users will click "Join Public Game". This either provisions a new multiplayer server via PlayFab, or retrieves the IP/Port of an existing game, and returns it to the user. Users will be redirected to a single page app built with Vue, and the JavaScript code will try to initiate a SignalR connection to the PlayFab Multiplayer server.

I have all of this working correctly, but as soon as I tried to convert everything to HTTPS, I ran into some blockers. The website is running HTTPS on the domain triviadisco.com, but when the JavaScript code tries to initiate a connection with the arbitrary IP address of the game server over SSL, I get a browser error (something like CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID), which I suspect is due to the fact that the game is server to the browser over the triviadisco.com domain, but I'm trying to initiate a secure connection to some other IP address.

I suspect I could fix this by introducing some proxy layer in the triviadisco.com backend, and use that to communicate with the game server. But that introduces all sorts of scaling / maintenance complexity that I was hoping to avoid.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I could solve this without redesigning the entire architecture?

Thanks in advance.

multiplayer
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Dimitris-Ilias Gkanatsios avatar image
Dimitris-Ilias Gkanatsios answered
1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Drew Kestell avatar image Drew Kestell commented ·

Thank you, this describes exactly the problem I'm facing. I was hoping to avoid this solution because it introduces scaling issues of the reverse proxy server that I'll have to solve, but I suppose it's the best solution.

0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

I am not an expert on web development, but this error indicates that there is a certificate issue. According to my experiences, all subdomain names, or Server Alternative Names (SAN) should be included in this certificate. Would you double-check the domain names?

How do you implement PlayFab Multiplayer servers? If you are using EOS on UE4, you may also refer to a recent thread to solve this issue.

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.