question

Jacob David Saueressig avatar image
Jacob David Saueressig asked

Constant "Error: Failed to parse heartbeat" errors and server remains in "StandingBy" state

Hello!

So far I've had no issues connecting clients to servers, locally or within PlayFab itself. I do, however, have an issue where my server's state never updates from "StandingBy" to Active/Terminating, even when the local VM is supposedly sending an "Active" or "Terminate" operation for the state back.

Server spawned from VM (or from a PlayFab Build) is sending the correct URL, verb, and payload as far as I can tell:
server-sendingcorrecturlverbandpayload.jpg

Server spawned from VM (or from a PlayFab Build) is always failing to receive a payload of any kind:
server-receivingincorrectpayload-min.jpg

I'm working with UE4.25, PlayFab Title: 35338.

Thanks for any assistance!

Hello!

So far I've had no issues connecting clients to servers, locally or within PlayFab itself. I do, however, have an issue where my server's state never updates from "StandingBy" to Active/Terminating, even when the local VM is supposedly sending an "Active" or "Terminate" operation for the state back.

Server spawned from VM (or from a PlayFab Build) is sending the correct URL, verb, and payload as far as I can tell:
server-sendingcorrecturlverbandpayload.jpg

Server spawned from VM (or from a PlayFab Build) is always failing to receive a payload of any kind:

server-receivingincorrectpayload-min.jpg

I'm working in UE4.25, PlayFab Title: 35338.

Thanks for any assistance!

unreal
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Made Wang avatar image
Made Wang answered

Did you refer to GSDK Project Setup - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs to integrate GSDK correctly? In addition, can you provide MultiplayerSettings.json and the log file for local debugging so that we can further investigate, and describe your steps so that we can reproduce?

3 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Jacob David Saueressig avatar image Jacob David Saueressig commented ·

Yes, I followed the GSDK project setup perfectly. I did need to adjust the Unreal GSDK plugin (https://github.com/PlayFab/gsdk/tree/main/UnrealPlugin) to no longer have the threadsafe param for the TSharedRef<IHttpRequest> Request/TempHeartbeats creation due to my engine being on 4.25 instead of 4.26+ within the SendHeartbeat/ReceiveHeartbeat functions, but that seemed like a small adjustment that wouldn't have affected things in this manner I thought?

I just tested with the wrappingGsdk sample (https://github.com/PlayFab/MpsSamples/tree/main/wrappingGsdk) with it's fakegame and that worked as expected, but I saw this StandingBy problem when I used the wrapper for my game's dedicated server.

MultiplayerSettings.json:
multiplayersettings-backupfordoitforthelove2.txt

Server log file:
serverlog.txt

0 Likes 0 ·
Jacob David Saueressig avatar image Jacob David Saueressig commented ·

VM log file:

vm-log.txt

0 Likes 0 ·
vm-log.txt (164.4 KiB)
Jacob David Saueressig avatar image Jacob David Saueressig Jacob David Saueressig commented ·

Looks like this exact issue was encountered on the GSDK Unreal Plugin 's github by user Hayden-W: https://github.com/PlayFab/gsdk/issues/106

0 Likes 0 ·
Jacob David Saueressig avatar image
Jacob David Saueressig answered

Super frustrating I can't edit my post and the admin who approved it didn't realize that it was a double post, lol.

More information due to picture upload limits: The Local VM is setting the operation correctly after enough heartbeats but my response remains empty:
vm-updatingstatecorrectly-min.jpg

1 comment
10 |1200

Made Wang avatar image Made Wang commented ·

This seems to be caused by the incompatibility between UE4.25 and GSDK UnrealPlugin. We recommend that you upgrade UE4 to 4.26 and above. According to the description in the documentation, this plugin has not been tested on UE4.25, so we cannot guarantee that it will work correctly.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.