question

Pat avatar image
Pat asked

match making setup with an elo and tips in general

I started to look into the match making part of my game now and am a little confused. I would like to have it find people based on their skill level or elo. Do you have any tutorials on it? If I need to use photon as well,  is there any for that as well? 

I'm actually a little confused about the system in general. I am trying to create a 3rd person moba for computer made with unity. Currently I have two scenes a login and a lobby screen. In the login scene I have a manager that Handel's all of the playfab client api calls to login and register the player. If login was successful it switches to the lobby scene. Here, there is a manger(probably multiple managers since its getting crowded) that calls the APIs required for store, user info, and the profile. Is this the correct way of doing it or have I been going at this all wrong? 

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

That sounds like a very reasonable architecture, though you should also be making sure to check the response info to ensure that if the session ticket has expired, you can re-log the player back in (so, if your login scene is the only place that manages sign-in, this may need to be added as part of your error handler in the lobby scene's managers). We do have a MOBA game sample you could also have a look at, to see one example architecture, here: https://github.com/PlayFab/UNION-OpenSource-MOBA.

Matchmaking in our service is for use with custom game servers. So if you've written a game server that your players will connect to for gameplay, and you want to have it hosted in our service, you would use the Matchmake call on the client to connect players. If that's what you need, and you specify a StatisticName, our matchmaker will automatically look for an available session where the other player(s) in it have a score as close as possible. We don't have a built-in ELO system, but if you were to calculate and store ELO values as statistics, you could use this in that manner. If you require more precision on the matchmaking or different logic, you can also plug you own matchmaker into our service via the Matchmaker API. That allows you to have your own matchmaking logic, while still using our service to host your game servers.

If you're using Photon Cloud, you would need to use their matchmaker logic to get players connected to Lobbies/Rooms. There's a write-up of this in their site, here: http://doc.photonengine.com/en/realtime/current/reference/matchmaking-and-lobby.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.