question

adityajeoh95 avatar image
adityajeoh95 asked

Hello, i was wondering about adding random friends workflow. Currently I was thinking about using Shared Group Data and allow the players to add friends from the sharedgroup data.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Shared Group Data cannot be used as a global data store that all players in the game read or write from/to. It is designed for cases where you need a small number of players to be able to share data with one another. Please see this post for more on this topic: https://community.playfab.com/questions/3843/use-shared-group-data-for-a-live-event-system.html.

6 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

adityajeoh95 avatar image adityajeoh95 commented ·

@Brendan I see, so the players can only add friends from the same group which members are random. But they will have limitation for adding certain number of friends. Is this workflow acceptable in Shared Group Data?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan adityajeoh95 commented ·

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your question. The two systems are completely distinct from one another.

For friends, you can add any number of friends to a player, as well as get the aggregated information of friends you've added to the player in PlayFab, as well as friends in integrated social networks who have also played the same game (like Facebook and Steam).

Shared Group Data is a data system designed to allow you to share data among a small number of users. It is neither sharded nor cached, meaning it cannot serve a high number of simultaneous requests for the same key without causing delays in database retrieval.

I would highly recommend reviewing the information in the post I linked above, as it goes into more detail on the types of data systems available in PlayFab.

0 Likes 0 ·
@Brendan

Sorry for my bad English. The feature that i tried to develop is to allowed players add random friends. So, i thought maybe i could use Shared Group Data to get an amount of strangers for them to add. "Strangers" that i mean here are the members from player's Shared Groups Data. Is this workflow going to work well? And for each of the Shared Group Data, is there any limitation for the amount of members?

0 Likes 0 ·

What's not clear is how you intend to do this randomization. It is not possible to use a Shared Group Data for read or write by all players in your game - again, it is only meant for sharing data between a small number of players. The default number of keys in Shared Group Data is 5, making it a very limited data store as well. What you may want to consider is using the leaderboard to connect people who have similar scores, or else using Photon Realtime as a means to create rooms that you have players join randomly, in order to connect them to others.

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Likes 0 ·

Thanks for pointing that out - that post was actually invalid, and was related to an old blog post we had which gave some incorrect guidance. The right way to manage asynchronous matchmaking is covered in detail in this thread: https://community.playfab.com/questions/515/207129407-Persistent-turn-based-games-.html

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.