question

Michael Volchenkov avatar image
Michael Volchenkov asked

"Heartbeat endpoint and Server id are required configuration values" exception with UE4 GSDK

Hi,

I have integrated the Unreal GSDK plugin (https://github.com/PlayFab/gsdk/tree/master/UnrealPlugin), everything is set up per the documentaion. I've also set up a Dockerfile and a startup.sh script per this doc (https://github.com/PlayFab/gsdk/blob/master/UnrealPlugin/ThirdPersonMPCloudDeploy.md). I'm running a source build of 4.27.2.

When I create a VM build using this Docker image, it fails to run. The culprit is the following exception: Heartbeat endpoint and Server id are required configuration values. I can see it failing to start with this error when manually attempting to run it on the VM. Same thing happens when running it locally, it doesn't even begin talking to LocalMultiplayerAgent.

I've read through the couple of topics that mention this error, but no real solution was presented and I can't quite figure it out.

Are there any additional dependencies or actions that need to be undertaken for the container and PlayFab to communicate with each other, perhaps?

Any help is appreciated.

3 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sarah Zhang avatar image Sarah Zhang commented ·

Could you please clarify which OS your server container targets, is it Windows Server or Linux? Besides, have you tried to follow this documentation - GSDK Project Testing and Debugging - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs to locally debug your server?

0 Likes 0 ·
Michael Volchenkov avatar image Michael Volchenkov Sarah Zhang commented ·

I am running Linux containers. As I mentioned in the post, it fails with the same error locally.

0 Likes 0 ·
Michael Volchenkov avatar image Michael Volchenkov Michael Volchenkov commented ·

Quick update on testing with LocalMultiplayerAgent. It seems to start up the container, and stays in the Initializing state. Here is the output: https://pastebin.com/0WFQBrdK

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
Michael Volchenkov avatar image
Michael Volchenkov answered

The problem is now solved.

Part of it had something to do with the blueprint implementation of the Unreal GSDK plugin, I reimplemented it with C++. Another issue was not naming the game port as "UnrealServerGsdkHostPort".

3 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Aymen avatar image Aymen commented ·

Hello Michael Volchenkov : where you named "UnrealServerGsdkHostPort"? in the dockerfile?

0 Likes 0 ·
archieprakash avatar image archieprakash commented ·

Can you post the code of your startup?

I believe this is due to running a session outside of the Playfab MPS(Multiplayer Player Server).

When trying to run a server build outside the MPS it causes the "Heartbeat endpoint and Server id are required configuration values."

0 Likes 0 ·
archieprakash avatar image archieprakash archieprakash commented ·

For anyone trying to have a way to build a server after installing the PlayFabGSDK and build a server executable that can ignore the GSDK

In my Server Target.cs I added a GlobalDefinition, here you can set it to "0" to diable and "1" to enable on build time.

GlobalDefinitions.Add("USE_PLAYFABGSDK=1");

Then in PlayFabGSDK.cpp I updated the define of "PLAYFAB_GSDK_SERVER"

#define PLAYFAB_GSDK_SERVER (USE_PLAYFABGSDK) 
0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.