question

CodeHunter avatar image
CodeHunter asked

Which PlayFab multiplayer library is faster to implement for Co-Op?

I'm not sure which is easier and faster to implement between PlayFab multiplayer server or PlayFab Party for Co-Op. I'm expecting the Co-Op feature to be similar to Genshin Impact, if a comparison is needed, with similar party size. I've looked into both already, but I can't decide which to use.

If using server:

• Pro: Most likely to be easier and faster because I've tried using it for PVP
  • Con 1: Server issue, because that means I'll need more servers on standby to accommodate all the players wanting to go online together with their friends
  • Con 2: I don't know if it's possible for a player to choose which player's world they want to join, because most players won't like it if they can only join a random stranger's world instead of their own friend's

If using party:

• Pro: No server development required
  • Con 1: The network ID is too long and I don't want it to be exposed to the players when connecting; I only want it to be exposed in the code so the player doesn't have to copy and paste a long string just to connect
  • Con 2: I don't know if spawning players is possible while maintaining the authority of each player's prefab (obviously you shouldn't be able to control another player)

Any help is appreciated! I need to fully implement this feature in a month.

multiplayer
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Made Wang avatar image
Made Wang answered

You can dynamically scale the virtual machine by referring to Scaling Standby - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs.

If you want players to be able to find and join the game, you can use some rules to limit matching players. For example, set the same attribute string for friends. You can also use the lobby, refer to Building Lobbies with Azure PlayFab.

If you are sending the network descriptor and the invitation identifier in the game, then you can try to wrap it, such as only showing a button to join the game.

A multiplayer game server is necessary if you need to write server-side logic. But to be clear, multiplayer server and Party are not one or the other, if you think they contain the features you need, you can use both. Refer to the examples in Party samples - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs and Multiplayer Servers samples and resources - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs to complete the features you need.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.