question

giantclam avatar image
giantclam asked

Non session-based multiplayer

I've browsed through a lot of the Playfab community and have seen numerous mentions of the multiplayer servers feature not being designed to support non-sessioned instances (for example, an open world MMO-style server).

What exactly are the limitations when it comes to keeping servers running for days on end? What are some of the specific challenges and/or barriers that prevent Playfab Multiplayer Servers from being a good option for open-world MMO server hosting? As an example, I'm thinking about games like World of Warcraft and Guild Wars 2.

Are there any other large-scale persistent server frameworks that you would recommend using alongside Playfab, that could specifically resolve this conflict?

Any answers are welcome. Thanks!

multiplayer
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Gosen Gao avatar image
Gosen Gao answered

PlayFab Multiplayer Server is designed for session based games, since long runing is not what it designed for, doing that may cause issues. As for the MMO server hosting, I don't know much about MMO games either, here are my thoughts just for reference.

MMO game may need to read and write world-related information frequently, this information is global, while PlayFab does not have global data to support frequent reading and writing. Usually, all kinds of information generated by the game running are stored in memory and written to the database periodically. Even dedicated servers require periodic downtime for maintenance, and the information stored in the database is important to reload the state before the downtime. So, MMO games require a large amount of memory too, as the running time increases, the memory occupied by the program will also increase. PlayFab is designed for session based game, it may not have a large memory.

As for other large persistent server frameworks, I don't know much about them, please find support from the corresponding community.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.