question

felinskyi.sg@gmail.com avatar image
felinskyi.sg@gmail.com asked

Custom Sever Tutorial

Hello!

I want create custom server for my game. But I can't find any tutorials for this. Yes, there are a lot of good documentation for Server API, but any video or document how to create custom server from scratch. Please, can you give me the link for this tutorial, or simple "Hello World" project for start. I just need to understand what type of project I need to create and what kind of build I need to make. Please, anybody help me :)

Thanks!

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

We're looking into posting a GitHub project with a basic example of a server soon. We'll update when that's available.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

felinskyi.sg@gmail.com answered

Thank you very much for the answer. I look forward to this project.

10 |1200

Hello again! 

I found tutorial how to write server for Unity using Photon Server SDK https://www.photonengine.com/en/OnPremise/Download . Its really cool! :) But unfortunately I can't understand how I can upload this server to the PlayFab at the "Servers" tab

What kind of package I need to create? Please give me some help. 

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

The info on how to set up and package your game server for hosting in PlayFab is in our tutorial, here: http://api.playfab.com/docs/custom-game-servers/.

One thing to note concerning the Photon Server though, is that it is not designed to use our command line parameters. In order to make Photon Server work in PlayFab, a "shim" is required which takes the parameters and writes them out as configuration data locally - the code can then use it to make sure the log files are in the right place, for example.

We're working with another developer who is using Photon Server this way, and the Exit Games team, to get a version of this posted to the Exit Games GitHub.

10 |1200

Thanks a lot for your help! I will research all of this.

10 |1200

Hello again! =) I on my way to the Custom Server =) Now I know how upload the build and what kind of build I need to create. Thanks a lot for this! 

In the Command Line Parameters I found this:

• log_file_path - a string value for the directory where the server log file must be written, so that it can be collected by the PlayFab service upon completion of the instance

Can you give simple example where I can find file that I save on this path? Or how can I Debug my server build? For example I need to see what Command Line Parameters that I got. When I open server IP address (when server is running) in web browser I got message "ok", how can I change this message?

Thanks!

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.