question

quanpn82 avatar image
quanpn82 asked

Access Share Group Data Latency

Hi @Brendan

I used a Share Group Data to manage all room game and other Share Group Data to manage list of player in a room. I create and update Share Group Data every creating new room or have new player join the room.

Everything working fine except read/write Share Group Data seems have a bit delay. I need to know who just join/left room game real time. And I used Photon event such as OnJoinedRoom(), OnLeftRoom() to trigger calling GetShareGroupData but updating new data not finish yet. I implemented some function on Cloud Script to get share data and call them bỵ ExecuteCloudScript API.

So pls give me suggestion in 2 points:

1. How to speed up read/write Share Group Data, or tips to improve it

2. Have any way to know updating Share Group Data already finished

I am working on TitleId 3733 and you can refer my cloud script code to know what I do.

Thank you

Quan

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Sorry, but what you're trying to do simply will not work. Please have a look at this post which talks in more depth about data models in PlayFab: https://community.playfab.com/questions/3843/use-shared-group-data-for-a-live-event-system.html. In short, a Shared Group Data can be used for sharing data between a subset of players (upwards of 100 or so), but it cannot be used as a global data store for update or access by all players.

We are planning on adding an asynchronous matchmaker in a future update, which may provide for what you need, but in the near term if that's what you're attempting to build, I would direct you to this thread for the way you can enable this now: https://community.playfab.com/questions/515/207129407-Persistent-turn-based-games-.html

5 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

quanpn82 avatar image quanpn82 commented ·

Hi @Brendan

Thank for your feedback.

I read your suggest questions few times before but not found good solution for me. I just tried Share Group Data for demo scenarios in game. It is not a final solution. I need a mechanism to sharing data whole players and can be accessed frequency. This is a limitation in PlayFab right? I will try other platform to do this and let me know if this feature available in PlayFab.

Thank you, Brendan

Quan

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan quanpn82 commented ·

What you're looking for is a type of data which can be read by all users across the entire game, which requires sharding and caching (like Title Data), but which can also be updated by all users across the entire game, which requires a single data location. That's why systems which provide for both of those are, generally speaking, tailor made to the specific requirements of the game - a general purpose system which would allow millions of users to simultaneously update and read a piece of data while maintaining consistency and without massive delays due to locks would be incredibly expensive to operate.

0 Likes 0 ·
quanpn82 avatar image quanpn82 brendan commented ·

You mean Title Data is useful for what I need?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.